Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, August 12, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers.

Last week I finished A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, inspired by an idea from Soibhan Dowd, illustrated by Jim Kay for Ness's upcoming author event.  This is a lovely parable that will probably resonate with lots of people.  It's heartbreaking and beautiful, especially when paired with the total book design of Kay.

Next I read The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett, the fourth Origami Yoda book by Tom Angleberger.  If you liked the previous books, you'll enjoy this one as well.  I'm continually surprised by how deep these books go and the issues addressed.  They are definitely more than immediately meets the eye.

Finally, I started The Last Dragonslayer, the first book in the Chronicles of Kazam by Jasper Fforde, for the Middle Grade Mania event.  I'm barely into this at all, but I can already tell I'll enjoy the worldbuilding and eclectic characters.

This week I'll be finishing The Last Dragonslayer, then starting its sequel, The Song of the Quarkbeast.

What are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. I just finished The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness. I want to read The Monster Calls, but I need a break from the dark and disturbing...and heartbreaking. I am all about light and fun this week (except for Shadows by Ilsa Bick). Have a great week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1Ck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaos Walking has been on my TBR list for years now. I was hoping to get to it before his visit, but we just had so many middle grade and YA authors added to our events schedule, I'll be doing well if I can read all the books they're touring for, much less the backlist.

      Delete
  2. Love the cover of the Angelberger book!
    Here's My Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That series definitely gets some awesome covers. Abrams does a good job with that in general.

      Delete
  3. I'm working on Broken by Elizabeth Pulford - it's part novel, part graphic novel. Really loving it so far.

    Check out what we read last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm partial to that hybrid. There's an upcoming one called Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi that my sales rep was quite enthusiastic about, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

      Delete
  4. I loved "The Last Dragonslayer", but wasn't as satisfied with "Song of the Quarkbeast." I love Fforde's work, so I was a little disappointed at how disjointed it felt. But I'm hoping he ends the trilogy strongly.

    ReplyDelete