Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, August 5, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers.

First up this week was finishing The Whatnot, the sequel to The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann.  This steampunk fairy tale was surprising at every turn, not so much in a plot twist way, but in that I could never predict where the story was going to take me next.  It was certainly a fun ride, and I liked that we picked up years after the first book, in order to see the evolution of the characters, but I feel cheated that we didn't get more Mr. Jelliby.  I read an ARC from Greenwillow Books.

Next was Rasl by Jeff Smith.  This is a decidedly adult tale from Smith, with no shortage of profanity, sex and violence.  Still, fans of Smith world-building will find plenty to like in this contemporary science fiction story while those who are unfamiliar will almost certainly get sucked in.  I read it in one sitting.  I read an ARC from Cartoon Books.

Then I started A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, inspired by an idea from Soibhan Dowd, illustrated by Jim Kay for Ness's upcoming author event.  I'm really intrigued by the story so far; it's both heartbreaking and beautiful.  I am also continually in awe of the beautiful works of art Candlewick makes out of their books.









This week also saw me filling is as Storytime lady.  The kids and I read:

--Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton.  I love Haughton's illustrations, but hadn't read the book yet.  This is perfect for read-alouds with lots of cues for the audience and repetition the kids can pick up on easily.  We read a complementary copy from Candlewick.

--Fancy Nancy: The Fanciest Doll in the Universe by Jane O'Connor, illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser.  I'm a Fancy Nancy fan already, and this is a cute story about getting along with younger siblings.

--Crankee Doodle by Tom Angleberger, illustrated by Cece Bell.  This was a little long for the younger ones, but they had fun with the histrionics of it.









This week I'll be finishing A Monster Calls, then continuing my Newbery reading with The Dark Frigate by Charles Boardman Hawes.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. I really want to read Crankee Doodle! Thanks for your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I still need to read The Peculiar. #behind
    I liked A Monster Calls ... but not as much as everyone else. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crankee Doodle looks so cute! I have The Peculiar on audio, which I need to get to and then I have the second as an arc as well. I hope you have a great reading week this week!

    Here's what we're reading...

    ReplyDelete