Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, July 29, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers.

Last week I finished The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting as part of my quest to read the Newbery winners.  This is the 1923 winner, and it does come off a bit dated.  There is a lot of cultural insensitivity (mostly of the colonialist variety, but with a few racial slurs from one character), but there is both a forward (by Jerry Griswold) and afterward (by Gary D. Schmidt) to put things in context.  The adventures are appropriately fantastical, but there's a lot less "talk to the animals" than I expected.  Having no experience with Doctor Dolittle outside of seeing the old movie when I was a kid, I was surprised by how scientific his language skills are and how commonplace his abilities become after only a short time.

Afterwards, I started The Whatnot, the sequel to The Peculiar, by Stefan Bachmann.  Just like the first installment, this is a wildly original tale, with lots of wonderful world-building and constantly surprising innovations in the settings and characters.  So far, the main characters from The Peculiar have barely appeared, leaving us with a new cast.  I have a feeling we'll see our old favorites soon, though.  I'm reading an ARC from Greenwillow Books.

This week, I'll be finishing The Whatnot, then moving on to Rasl by Jeff Smith.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle looks very good. Thanks for sharing about it! I need to add it to my TBR list. Have a great reading week!
    Ricki

    ReplyDelete
  3. RASL by Jeff Smith, I wonder if that's the same Jeff Smith that wrote the BONE series. I liked those. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete