Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, July 22, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers.

Last week I finished Inheritance, the first book in the Southern Son: The Saga of Doc Holliday trilogy by Victoria Wilcox.  (This is an adult title.)  While I certainly learned some interesting things about his life, I didn't come away with a very positive impression of Doc Holliday.  I don't know that I'll be continuing with this series.

Next I read Twerp by Mark Goldblatt.  This had been recommended to me as similar to Wonder by R.J. Palacio, which I loved, so I was very excited to read it.  I definitely see why the comp was made, but it lacked that little bit of magic that made Wonder really special.  It's still something I'd recommend without hesitation, though.  It's an excellent look at bullying from a slightly different point of view (the kid who means well, but gives in easily to pressure).  It also comps nicely to Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt, especially since they share a late-1960s setting.  I read a complimentary copy from Random House Books for Young Readers.

Finally, I continued my quest to read through the Newbery Medal with the 1923 winner, The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting.  I wasn't aware when I started it that it was actually the sequel to The Story of Doctor Dolittle, but it doesn't seem you need to have read one to enjoy the other.  So far, this one is interesting, though definitely dated.  It's heavily rooted in a time when travel and education were beyond the reach of all but the most privileged.  There are also some racial slurs and stereotyping in the original text version I'm reading.

This week I'll be finishing The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle and starting The Whatnot, the sequel to The Peculiar, by Stefan Bachmann.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. I also love the magic of WONDER. I will check out TWERP, for sure, but I will try not to compare the two so I am not let down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Gary Schmidt. Kids never quite get it but I like historical fiction so I will have to check out Twerp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Doctor DoLittle book sounds good.

    ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete