Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, July 15, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers.

This week I continued Inheritance, the first book in the Southern Son: The Saga of Doc Holliday series, by Victoria Wilcox.  I'm having trouble getting through this one.  It's not bad once I'm reading it.  I'm just having trouble motivating myself to pick it up.











I also read plenty of upcoming picture books from the Fall season.

When Charlie Met Grampa by Amy Hest, illustrated by Helen Oxenbury
A cute follow-up about making new friends.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Journey by Aaron Becker
A beautiful wordless book that leaves lots of room for imagination.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Paul Meets Bernadette by Rosy Lamb
I loved this whimsical tale about meeting that person (or fish) who makes you look at the world differently.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Captain Cat by Inga Moore
A bizarre story that goes on perhaps a bit long.  Pretty though.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Amy's Three Best Things by Philippa Pearce, illustrated by Helen Craig
A comforting tale about being away from home for the first time.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

The Nowhere Box by Sam Zuppardi
What kid doesn't love playing with boxes?
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Maude the Not-So-Noticeable Shrimpton by Lauren Child, illustrated by Trisha Krauss
Weird in the best way.  Loved this.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Baby and Me by Emma Dodd
Ultra-cute interactive about siblings.
I read a sample copy from Nosy Crow.

Whizz! Pop! Granny, Stop! by Tracey Corderoy, illustrated by Joe Berger
A fun look at when to be different and when to blend in.
I read an F&G from Nosy Crow.

And the Cars Go... by William Bee
Kids will have fun guessing the outcomes of this cumulative story.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Pip and Posy: The Snowy Day by Axel Scheffler
They're back with another conflict resolution title.
I read an F&G from Nosy Crow.

Cheese Belongs to You! by Alexis Deacon, illustrated by Viviane Schwarz
I loved it.  I suppose it depends on how you feel about rats.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Stick! by Andy Pritchett
Super-cute one-word book.  Fun as a read-aloud.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

DragonQuest by Allan Baillie, illustrated by Wayne Harris
Lovely and magical book with unique second-person narration.
I read a sample copy from Candlewick.

I Spy Pets by Edward Gibbs
Another cute I Spy title.
I read a sample copy from Templar.

Sidney, Stella and the Moon by Emma Yarlett
Very pretty book with a nice teamwork message and just enough strange to keep it from being too sweet.
I read an F&G from Templar.

Olive and the Bad Mood by Tor Freeman
Nice title about being nice.
I read an F&G from Templar.

The Tiny King by Taro Miura
Bizarre story with a really cool look.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

Animal Opposites by Petr Horacek
Well-constructed pop-up concept book.
I read a sample copy from Candlewick.

The Race for the Chinese Zodiac by Gabrielle Wang, illustrated by Sally Rippin
Beautiful illustrations for the traditional tale.
I read a sample copy from Candlewick.

Laika: Astronaut Dog by Owen Davey
Such a strange topic, but I really love it.
I read an F&G from Templar.

Peppa Pig and the Perfect Day
Another well-constructed pop-up.
I read a sample copy from Candlewick.

Dinosaur Rescue by Penny Dale
Dinosaurs in vehicles are back!
I read an F&G from Nosy Crow.

Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam by Tracey Corderoy, illustrated by Steven Lenton
Robber dogs have never been so endearing.
I read an F&G from Nosy Crow.

Welcome to Mamoko by Aleksandra Mizielinska, illustrated by Daniel Mizielinski
Great concept for a seek-and-find with many simultaneous storylines.
I read an F&G from Big Picture Press.

Artcards: Accessorize by Hennie Haworth
Fun concept for an activity book.  Don't care much for the subject.
I read a sample copy from Big Picture Press.

Nina's Book of Little Things by Keith Haring
Great activity/scrapbook.
I read a sample copy from Big Picture Press.

Princess Penelope and the Runaway Kitten by Alison Murray
It has a kitten and every page is sparkly.  Need I say more?
I read a sample copy from Nosy Crow.

Guess How Much I Love You: After the Storm by Sam McBratney
Well, this has gotten a bit merchy, no?
I read a F&G from Candlewick.

Guess How Much I Love You: Snow Magic by Sam McBratney
Same.
I read an F&G from Candlewick.

The Big Wet Balloon by Liniers
Surprisingly good character development for this sparse book.
I read a sample copy from Toon Books.

Otto's Backwards Day by Frank Cammuso, illustrated by Jay Lynch
Learn about holidays and what's you really need to celebrate a birthday.
I read a sample copy from Toon Books.

Patrick Eats His Peas and Other Stories by Geoffrey Hayes
Parents and kids alike will identify with these stories.
I read a sample copy from Toon Books.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic line up and lot of them are not showing up at our local library sadly. But i have made book suggestions. Hoping to read some of these in the near future!
    -Reshama
    www.stackingbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture books aren't coming out until Fall, and sales reps are still seeing their accounts, so your library might have them after all, just not yet!

      Delete
  2. Dragonquest looks lovely on its cover--I'm sure children will enjoy the subject and the beautiful illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently that one is a beloved classic in Australia that's just making its way across the ocean. I look forward to seeing if it does as well here.

      Delete
  3. Wow Such an amazing list of picture books Some really stood out for me - particularly Journey (love wordless books) and Maude Thanks for the future reading inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were two of my favorites as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been a busy bee! There are so many good books here, I can't even decide which to buy. I love pop-up books, so I will start there. Great line-up here. Have a happy reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love pop-ups, keep an eye out for Robert Sabuda's take on The Little Mermaid, out this Fall. I didn't get to read the whole thing, so I didn't cover it, but what I saw is breathtaking.

      Delete
  6. Wow...lots of books. Looks good.

    ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete