Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, July 1, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts and Unleashing Readers.

Last week began with finishing Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish: A Novel by David Rakoff (an adult book).  It's simply amazing how deeply developed these characters are while being written entirely in rhymed couplets.  And there are so many of them!  At only 120-some pages, Rakoff shouldn't be able to accomplish what he did.  I kept wondering how it was all going to tie together, then it did, and it was so beautiful I cried.  I read an ARC from Doubleday.


Next I started If He Had Been with Me by Laura Nowlin for her upcoming author event.  This is not an easy read.  Not that it's dense or hard to understand.  The short chapters actually make it very readable in that sense.  It's just heartbreaking.  It's a book that has you rooting so hard for something you know won't happen that it just leaves you with a sense of dread.  Now, despite that, I still think it's a very good book so far.  Just one you have to be in the mood to read.

This week I'll be finishing If He Had Been with Me, then starting Twerp by Mark Goldblatt.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. I just finished Twerp and loved it. Found the narrator's voice both vulnerable and honest. Filled with humour, anxiety and a slow but sure examination of what it is we are responsible for . . . The cover of Ir He Had Been with Me looks heartbreaking - has made me curious. Going to look at it over on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 emotionally draining books back to back - I'd need a light fun, easy read after that!

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--these both seem tough. I haven't read either, so when I get in the right mindframe to read them, they both seem great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete