Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, June 24, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Apparently something has happened to my schedule, and I'm not getting through books as quickly as I have been.  I finally finished Horde, the third book in the Razorland trilogy by Ann Aguirre, last night.  I really enjoyed this installment, which was just as epic as the first two.  I'm not sure I was completely satisfied by the explanation of the Freaks, but my displeasure can be filed under "suspend your disbelief," so I'll let it pass.  I am genuinely sad to leave behind these fantastic characters, and I cried more than once during the final parts of the book.  I read an ARC from Feiwel & Friends.

After that I (just barely) started the adult novel Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish: A Novel by David Rakoff.  I'm so excited to get further into it.  I love Rakoff's work, and this novel-in-rhymed-couplet is one of the most ambitious things I've read lately.  I'm reading an ARC from Doubleday.











I also got through some upcoming picture books:

The Apple Orchard Riddle by Margaret McNamara, illustrated by G. Brian Karas
A nice book for the ubiquitous apple unit with great characters.
I read an F&G from Schwartz and Wade Books.


The Christmas Wish by Lori Evert, photographs by Per Breiehagen
Lovely photographs, but you can tell the story was written around them, rather than the other way around.
I read an F&G from Random House.


Cowboy Boyd and the Mighty Calliope by Lisa Moser, illustrated by Sebastiaan Van Doninck
A cute western tale.  Kids will have fun being one step ahead on Calliope's identity.
I read an F&G from Random House.


Daisy Gets Lost by Chris Raschka
A simple story about a common fear with gorgeous watercolors.  If you like A Ball for Daisy, this is a sure winner.
I read an F&G from Schwartz and Wade Books.


Deep in the Sahara by Kelly Cunnane, illustrated by Hoda Hadadi
A beautifully atmospheric book with a strong Muslim background.  Gives a positive spin on the wearing of the veil.
I read an F&G from Schwartz and Wade Books.


Dog-Gone School by Amy Schmidt, photographs by Ron Schmidt
Back-to-school poems for the very young, illustrated by adorable puppies.  Kids should love that all the puppies' names and breeds are given in the back.
I read an F&G from Random House.


Dream Animals: A Bedtime Journey by Emily Winfield Martin
A beautiful bedtime story full of imagination.
I read an F&G from Random House.


The Girl Who Wouldn't Brush Her Hair by Kate Bernheimer, illustrated by Jake Parker
This book is so much fun, and I love the writing style.  (But I don't love the suggestion that people with wavy hair should brush it.)
I read an F&G from Schwartz and Wade Books.


The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig, illustrated by Patrice Barton
A story about bullying, both the active kind and the passive, exclusionary kind.  Beautiful illustrations make it more widely appealing.
I read an F&G from Alfred A. Knopf.


Lena's Sleep Sheep: A Going-to-Bed Book by Anita Lobel
A whimsical book of counting sheep.
I read an F&G from Alfred A. Knopf.


My Pen Pal, Santa by Melissa Stanton, illustrated by Jennifer A. Bell
A very sweet book that covers what Santa does all year.  May give kids ideas for a year-long correspondence.
I read an F&G from Random House.


Penguin Cha-Cha by Kristi Valiant
A cute look at the secret lives of penguins.
I read an F&G from Random House.


Sophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller, illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf
A super-cute book about an unlikely friendship.  Great ending.
I read an F&G from Schwartz and Wade Books.


Squirrels on Skis by J. Hamilton Ray, illustrated by Pascal Lemaitre
A fun rhyming beginner book with lots of silliness.
I read an F&G from Beginner Books.


Anne Frank's Chestnut Tree by Jane Kohuth, illustrated by Elizabeth Sayles
While written at an easy comprehension level, this covers even the darker parts of Anne Frank's experience.
I read an F&G from Random House.







This week I'll be finishing Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish: A Novel and starting If He Had Been with Me by Laura Nowlin for her upcoming author event.

What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great variety of books you have read. I love all the picture books, particularly The Girl Who Wouldn't Brush her Hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful, whimsical book. I think both kids and adults should like it a lot.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, there are some really great ones coming up.

      Delete
  3. I'M SO JEALOUS YOU'VE READ HORDE!! I LOVE THAT SERIES! Sorry I'm shouting...I just can't WAIT for that book! Lol
    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can safely say that if you love the series, you'll love this installment too. I know a lot of people couldn't get into the first book, but I've been hooked since the beginning.

      Delete
  4. You have been a busy bee! It makes me want to be even more ambitious this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With it being buying season, I'm going through picture books like crazy, but I feel like I'm moving pretty slowly on the longer stuff right now.

      Delete