Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, June 17, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

I started out last week by finishing The Story of Mankind by Hendrick Willem van Loon, updated by John Merriman, the 1922 Newbery Award winner.  As I said last week, I loved this book.  At least, van Loon's portion of it.  The added chapters are significantly more dry and move much more slowly.  If you're reading it just for the reading experience and not for the comprehensive history (and you're not a completist like me), you might want to skip them.

I followed that with The Tale of Willy Willys by Ben Hilliker, illustrated by Robery Shay.  This is a charming picture book (on the longer side) featuring the fictionalized tale of a 1926 car who found a new home with a couple who shares the Willys name.  There's lots of alliteration and some new vocabulary that makes it a fun read-aloud.  (There doesn't seem to be a cover image anywhere online to share with you.)

Finally I started Horde, the third book in the Razorland trilogy by Ann Aguirre.  This picks up right where the last book ended.  Aguirre continues to impress me with her ability to pack so much action into a short period of pages without sacrificing character development.  She's very pithy.  I'm reading an ARC from Feiwel and Friends.

I also read some upcoming picture books:

Go Ahead and Dream by Karen Kingsbury and Alex Smith, illustrated by Greg Banning
A nice message about believing in yourself, but it gets a bit sad (a character dies).
I read an F&G from Harper.


Thanksgiving Day Thanks by Laura Malone Elliott, illustrated by Lynn Munsinger
This one's a bit all over the place and has trouble landing on its message.
I read an F&G from Katherine Tegen Books.


The Twelve Days of Christmas by Susan Jeffers
Not too much to say here.  There's a nice framing device that recontextualizes the material to make more sense for kids.
I read an F&G from Harper.


Santa Claus and the Three Bears by Maria Modugno, illustrated by Jane Dyer and Brooke Dyer
What it says on the tin.  A fun addition to any fractured fairy tales collection.
I read an F&G from Harper.


The Snow Queen a retelling of the fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen, illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline
A very beautiful version of one of Andersen's more obscure tales.
I read an F&G from Harper.


Mia's Nutcracker Ballet by Robin Farley, illustrated by Olga and Aleksey Ivanov
The story of the classic ballet, told in kid-friendly terms, starring Mia.
I read an F&G from Harper.


Zoomer's Out-of-This-World Christmas by Ned Young
Who doesn't love a Christmas story starring beagles and aliens?
I read an F&G from Harper.


Christmas Mouse by Anne Mortimer
Very cute, for younger kids.  Nice small trim size, too.
I read an F&G from Katherine Tegen Books.


JFK by Jonah Winter, illustrated by AG Ford
A simple picture book biography covering Kennedy's life and ambitions.
I read an F&G from Katherine Tegen Books.


Foxy in Love by Emma Dodd
Super cute Valentine's Day story, perfect for the very young.
I read an F&G from Harper.


The Silver Moon: Lullabies and Cradle Songs by Jack Prelutsky, illustrated by Jui Ishida
I never would have guessed this was Prelutsky.  It's much quieter and gentler than his norm.  Sheet music is included.
I read an F&G from Greenwillow Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment