Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, June 3, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

I started off last week by finishing Necromancing the Stone, the second Necromancer book by Lish McBride.  I really like this series for its high level of creativity and humor.  It's smart writing and it should find a lot of fans.  I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Supernatural.  I read an ARC from Henry Holt and Company Books for Young Readers.










Next I read Archetype, the first in an adult literary science fiction duet by M.D. Waters.  This is so far out from publication that there is no cover and it's not available for presale yet, and that is a shame, because I want to share it now!  This is really up-all-night, can't-put-it-down stuff.  Keep an eye out for it if you liked The Handmaid's Tale.  I read an uncorrected proof from Dutton.

Finally, I started my long-delayed project to read all the Newbery winners with the 1922 book, The Story of Mankind by Hendrick Willem van Loon, updated by John Merriman.  It's surprisingly engaging and easy-to-read.  I've even laughed out loud a few times.  There are definitely some outdated comparisons to our own time, but I'm still learning a lot.










This week I'll be finishing The Story of Mankind then moving on to Horde, the third book in the Enclave trilogy by Ann Aguirre.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. So glad to see some positive words about The Story of Mankind. I'm working on the Newbery Challenge too, but not in any particular order, and though I've checked Story of Mankind out a couple of times from the library, I've returned it unread each time. But I know I'm going to actually read it someday! This week, I'm planning to read another Barbara Pym novel for the Barbara Pym Reading Week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The further I get in The Story of Mankind, the more I like it. I was really wary of beginning it, but it's really paid off.

      Delete
  2. I have an arc of Horde too and I really want to dig into it, but I've been resisting to read some June releases first.

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to alternate between new books, Newbery books and books that continue a series I've already started. Some of them have been waiting way too long.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your books. I'm reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Forever in Blue by Ann Brashares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are working on some good series' here. :)
    here is my Monday post

    ReplyDelete