Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, May 27, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

I did it!  I finished City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare!  I can't say there were a whole lot of surprises (even when I didn't see something coming from a long way away, I still realized it before Clary), but the plot picked up, and I'm interested to see where the character dynamic goes from here.

After that, I needed something I could breeze through, so I picked up Collision Course, the second book in the Titanic series by Gordon Korman.  I'm not a big fan of adding fictionalized stories to the Titanic, since every story you could ever want to tell was already there in real life (well, maybe not the one totally ridiculous one he added), but there's enough fact here to make it worthwhile, and he does a nice job of capturing some of the complex emotions between the collision and realizing that all was lost.

I started Necromancing the Stone, the second in Lish McBride's Necromancer series.  This is great fun, written with a wonderful sense of humor, and the rare book that I think can be sold to boys and girls equally easily, both in content and marketing.  I'm reading an ARC from Henry Holt and Company Books for Young Readers.











I also started Archetype by M.D. Waters, the first in a two-book adult series.  This one doesn't come out until February, so there's no cover yet.  It's very compelling so far.  A literary science-fiction story in the vein of The Handmaid's Tale.  I'm reading an uncorrected proof from Dutton.

I also read some picture books coming from Macmillan this fall.

The Greatest Dinosaur Ever by Brenda Z. Guiberson, illustrated by Gennady Spirin
A nice nonfiction title for the very young.  Not so much detail that they'll lose interest.
I read an F&G from Henry Holt and Company Books for Young Readers.


Fall Ball by Peter McCarty
Great for young sports fans.  Love the illustrations.
I read an F&G from Henry Holt and Company Books for Young Readers.


Cool Creations in 35 Pieces by Sean Kenney
It's nice to see a LEGO book that doesn't require tons of specialty kits.
I read an F&G from Christy Ottaviano Books.


Dino-Baby by Mark Sperring, illustrated by Sam Lloyd
A cute way to teach little ones the dos and don'ts of having a little brother or sister.
I read an F&G from Bloomsbury Children's Books.


Moo! by David LaRochelle, illustrated by Mike Wohnoutka
This very silly story told in (almost) one word could be a lot of fun as a read-aloud.
I read an F&G from Walker Books for Young Readers.


The Tiger Cubs and the Chimp: The True Story of How Anjana the Chimp Helped Raise Two Baby Tigers by Bhagavan "Doc" Antle with Thea Feldman, photographs by Barry Bland
A worthy addition to the interspecies friendship genre.
I read an F&G from Henry Holt and Company Books for Young Readers.


I See Kitty by Yasmine Surovec
Almost too cute, kids will have fun finding all the kitties.
I read an F&G from Roaring Brook Press.


The Table Sets Itself by Ben Clanton
A fun and subtly humorous take on this aspect of etiquette.
I read an F&G from Walker Books for Young Readers.


Penguin in Love by Salina Yoon
I lovely and sweet addition to the Penguin books.
I read an F&G from Walker Books for Young Readers.


On My Way to Bed by Sarah Maizes, illustrated by Michael Paraskevas
I love these tributes to imagination, and this one will look very familiar to anyone who's had to enforce bedtime.
I read an F&G from Walker Books for Young Readers.


How Big Were Dinosaurs? by Lita Judge
Another nice nonfiction piece, this one a little more advanced.
I read an F&G from Roaring Brook Press.


Musk Ox Counts by Erin Cabatingan, illustrated by Matthew Myers
These books are so much fun.  Love the breaking of the fourth wall.
I read an F&G from Roaring Brook Press.


The Crocodile and the Scorpion by Rebecca Emberley and Ed Emberley
This is a very pretty adaptation of the classic tale, but it's a bit iffy to have a picture book where everyone dies at the end.
I read an F&G from Roaring Brook Press.


Hello, My Name Is Ruby by Philip C. Stead
A sweet book about making friends that is perfect for those on the shy side.
I read an F&G from Roaring Brook Press.


Herman and Rosie by Gus Gordon
A beautiful book with fantastic illustrations.
I read an F&G from Roaring Brook Press.


A Single Pebble: A Story of the Silk Road by Bonnie Christensen
A great jumping-off point for learning about Eastern history and cultures.
I read an F&G from Roaring Brook Press.


Beatrice Spells Some Lulus and Learns to Write a Letter by Cari Best, illustrated by Giselle Potter
A fun book with lots of things to spell.
I read an F&G from Farrar Straus Giroux.




This week I'll be working on finishing Necromancing the Stone and Archetype.  I also hope to pick up The Grannie Annie Family Story Celebration, Volume 8 for their author event.

What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Ooh . . . great to see some upcoming picture books. Thanks for sharing those titles! Now off to add to my future TBR!

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love giving sneak previews! The trouble is waiting to finally be able to recommend them.

      Delete
  2. Some great looking titles! Love the look of those picture books. :) Enjoy all your reads this week!

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really nice titles in that picture book list. I particularly liked Hello, My Name Is Ruby and Herman and Rosie.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sarah! Chuffed that you like my Herman and Rosie. Didn't realise that the first galleys were out flying around the place. Suddenly I am a little nervous! Thanks for the kind words. Best, Gus

      Delete
  3. If you weren't surprised by much in CoB, you probably won't find many surprises in the rest of the series, either. I still love it, though. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, too.
    ~Gabbi
    My Monday post!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely continue with the series, but it will probably be a little while. I have so much reading piled up.

      Delete
  4. I agree. I figured things out before Clary, but I enjoy the books. I like the prequel series better. I'm reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer and Anna Karenina.

    ReplyDelete