Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, May 20, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This was another terrible reading week.  I've learned I don't read well when working two jobs almost every day.  Surprise.  I did get a bit further in City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, for the May meeting of Teen Reads.  I'm a bit frustrated with the main character's inability to see the most obvious things and don't understand the love triangle at all, since one of the sides doesn't really have any redeeming qualities.

I managed to read the entirety of A Black Hole Is NOT a Hole by Carolyn Cinami DeCristofano, illustrated by Michael Carroll, for her author event.  I actually learned a lot, and quite a few physics concepts I knew vaguely make a lot more sense.  I'd definitely recommend this for older kids interested in science and space.













This week I have to finish City of Bones, then, if we have it by then, I'll be starting The Grannie Annie Family Story Celebration, Volume 8 for their author event.  Otherwise, I'll be selecting from my vast TBR pile.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. I had a similar frustration with City of Bones and didn't continue with the series, though I do someday or other intend to try something else by Clare. Hope you're able to find more time for reading this week! I always feel grumpy when I have too many work responsibilities and not enough open time for reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People keep telling me the Infernal Devices series is much better than the Mortal Instruments. I don't like to read prequels before I've read what they precede, though. We'll see if I go back to it someday. For now, there's too much else waiting in the wings!

      Delete
  2. A Black Hole Is Not a Hole sounds like a lot of fun. I am always on the lookout for science type books that I can learn from without feeling like I need a PhD!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My education is all in the arts, and I understood everything in the book. I feel like I can really impress if black holes come up at a cocktail party anytime soon!

      Delete