Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, May 13, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This was not a good reading week for me.  I did finish The Complete Talking Heads by Alan Bennett just in time to start performances of selections from it at St. Louis Actors' Studio this weekend.  This is really just stellar writing and amazing character building.  See them if you can, but if you can't, they're still worth a read.

After that, I read less than a full chapter of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, for the May meeting of Teen Reads, so I don't have much to say about that.

I did get through some picture books though.  On the finished side, I read What Will Hatch? by Jennifer Ward, illustrated by Susie Ghahremani, for Jennifer's Children's Book Week event.  It's a very visually appealing and accessible light-science picture book that can also be played as a guessing game.  Younger kids should love it.













Then there were some yet-to-be-published books from Penguin:

An Otis Christmas by Loren Long
Everyone's favorite tractor is back with a tale in the classic Christmas spirit, although it might be a bit heavy for some (a horse almost dies in childbirth).
I read an F&G from Philomel.


Friends by Eric Carle
This is...odd.  I really like the beginning, and it's nice to see a friendship between a boy and a girl.  I really like the middle, which reframes the traditional illustrations and puts the reader in the setting rather than the character.  But the end is...odd.  And abrupt.
I read an F&G from Philomel.


Llama Llama and the Bully Goat by Anna Dewdney
Llama Llama adds a worthy installment to the ongoing discussion on bullying.
I read an F&G from Viking.


Madeline and the Old House in Paris by John Bemelmans Marciano
A nice new installment to the Madeline series, this one featuring a ghost.
I read an F&G from Viking.


Tea Party Rules by Ame Dyckman, illustrated by K.G. Campbell
A very cute story with a lot of visual humor kids will love.
I read an F&G from Viking.


Secret Pizza Party by Adam Rubin, illustrated by Daniel Salmieri
A worthy successor to Dragons Love Tacos.  Often laugh-out-loud funny.
I read an F&G from Dial.


Flo and Wendell by William Wegman
Wegman combines his iconic Weimaraners with splashy paintings for a silly book about siblings.
I read an F&G from Dial.


Ladybug Girl and the Big Snow by David Soman and Jacky Davis
Another solid entry in the Ladybug Girl series, this one dealing with overcoming frustration.
I read an F&G from Dial.


The Christmas Cat by Maryann Macdonald, illustrated by Amy June Bates
A beautiful religious story of the connection between Jesus and his pet cat, inspired by the work of da Vinci.
I read an F&G from Dial.


Little Santa by Jon Agee
A strange little Santa origin story.
I read an F&G from Dial.


Please Bring Balloons by Lindsay Ward
A magical adventure of a book.  Love the collage illustrations.
I read an F&G from Dial.


Sometimes I Forget You're a Robot by Sam Brown
It's basically an explodingdog picture book.  Which means it's visually striking, unexpectedly poignant and so exciting.
I read an F&G from Dial.


Bits and Pieces by Judy Schachner
SO.  SWEET.
I read an F&G from Dial.


You Know What I Love? by Lorena Siminovich
Cute and sweet with bright retro illustrations.
I read an F&G from Dial.


Cinders: A Chicken Cinderella by Jan Brett
This is, in many ways, a classic Jan Brett book.  Except that it's about chickens acting out Cinderella.
I read an F&G from Putnam.


Little Burro by Jim Arnosky
A fiction story from Arnosky, this evokes the same love of the wild that his nonfiction books do.
I read an F&G from Putnam.


Gifts of the Heart by Patricia Polacco
A somewhat wordy, but nice, Christmas story.
I read an F&G from Putnam.


Strega Nona Does It Again by Tomie dePaola
I'm not quite sure I've ever understood the appeal of these books.  This one just doesn't seem like it has much to do with anything kids care about.
I read an F&G from Nancy Paulsen Books.


Old Mikamba Had a Farm by Rachel Isadora
A very pretty African reimagining of Old MacDonald.  Bonus for a "true facts" section at the back that doesn't get too wordy.
I read an F&G from Nancy Paulsen Books.


Bones and the Apple Pie Mystery by David A. Adler, illustrated by Barbara Johansen Newman
A cute mystery for young readers with some light humor.
I read an F&G from Penguin Young Readers.









This week I'll be finishing City of Bones, then reading A Black Hole Is NOT a Hole by Carolyn Cinami DeCristfano, illustrated by Michael Carroll, for Carolyn's Children's Book Week event.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. I liked the first three City of Bones books, but once a series goes over three books, I start to lose interest. My students don't however, and apparently there is going to be a movie, so they are gobbling these up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit to being more than a little daunted by the fact that there are six books in this series, three in the prequel series and three in Holly Black's tie-in series. I'm not sure how far I'll get.

      Delete
  2. I stopped reading after the 3rd of the City of Bones books. I felt like everything was wrapped up rather nicely at that point, and I was a bit tired of the series. Maybe one day I'll pick up the others...
    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it difficult to engage with the writing, even though I'm enjoying the story. We'll see how I feel when I'm finished with book one...

      Delete