Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, May 6, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week I read a little more of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare for the May meeting of Teen Reads.  Not that much more, though, so I haven't really changed my opinion at all since last week.  I would like to get back to it though.

I was interrupted in the reading of that by The Complete Talking Heads by Alan Bennett.  In addition to the bookstore, I also have a career in the theatre and my current gig is stage managing a selection of these monologues for St. Louis Actors' Studio.  I decided to read through the whole collection, and it is fantastic.  Of course they are meant to be heard, but this is unusually satisfying reading for a theatrical (originally television) work.  Each monologue drops you into the middle of person's life which then slowly unfolds to let you in on all their secrets.  Masterful writing.

I also read The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf by Mark Teague for his author event.  This is a clever modernized retelling of the classic, guaranteed to make kids laugh.  (I've witnessed it in action!)















Next week, I'll be finishing both The Complete Talking Heads and City of Bones, then, if I get the chance, starting on Disney in Shadow, the third book in the Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson, for his Children's Book Week event.

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I loved City of Bones... but then had a lot of trouble getting into the second book and I never actually finished it. I'd like to give it a try again some time soon though.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness thanks for letting me know about this new fractured three little pigs tale - Mark Teague is an absolute favorite (loved his La Rue series). I'd be sure to check this one out. We did a fractured fairy tale theme several years back and we have a collection of fractured three little pigs titles. :) Will definitely have to add this one. :)

    ReplyDelete