Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, April 8, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone for Teen Science Fiction and Fantasy Night.  I was really surprised by how deep this book got.  I was expecting a lot more ticking-time-bomb action and star-crossed lovers, and while there was a bit of the latter, it was mostly a philosophical examination on the moral and ethical implications of being able to alter other people's lives without their knowledge and whether sparing them pain is worth removing their agency.  It's quite good.  Shame about the cover.  I read an ARC from Disney Press.

I took a brief hiatus from that to read Poems to Learn by Heart by Caroline Kennedy, illustrated by Jon J. Muth for Family Read Night.  This is a delightful collection of poems.  Although the goal is to provide ones that are easy or fun to memorize, I'm not sure how successful I would be at that.  However, they are fun to read and the paintings are really lovely.

Finally, I started Requiem by Lauren Oliver, also for Teen Science Fiction and Fantasy Night.  I wasn't sure how I would feel about the storytelling format changing for every book in the series, but I do like the split narrative so far.  I don't think anything's going to recapture the world-building magic of the first book, though.

This week I'll be finishing Requiem and starting The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan for World Book Night.

What are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. That's interesting that Oliver changes up her format for books in the same series. I haven't read any of her books, but need to. Love The Lightning Thief so I hope you are enjoying it.

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver is definitely worth reading. Her writing has a beautiful lyrical quality that you don't see much of.

      I haven't started Lightning Thief yet, but I'm sure I'll love it. I've never heard anything bad about it.

      Delete
  2. Time Between Us looks good! I've read the first two Delirium books and am looking forward to Requeim! I like your blog - it's my first time visiting it. Here's what I'm reading this week: http://hollymueller.blogspot.com/2013/04/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_8.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Oliver's writing, I think you'll appreciate Time Between Us. There's a lot of the same beautiful crafting of words.

      Delete
  3. Time Between Us looks SO AMAZEBALLS. I've been wanting to read it ever since I first heard about it. Also, I totally agree with what you said about Requiem. It's good, of course, but there is just something magical about Delirium that neither Requiem or Pandemonium seem to capture.

    My Monday Post! :)
    ~ Gabbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely enjoying the other two books, but there's just something about Delirium that they don't quite have.

      As I said above, if you like Oliver's writing, I think you'll like Time Between Us. I often found myself thinking about how much I liked her phrasing and expressions.

      Delete
  4. I am reading Knots and Crosses.

    ReplyDelete