Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, April 29, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week, I finished Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts, illustrated by Laura Park.  This is a quick, fun little read that is perfect to recommend to Wimpy Kid fans.  I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here.  There are already a lot of fans, and I think it will definitely grow.

Next (and last), I started City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, for the May meeting of Teen Reads. It took me a while to get into the narrative style, but either I've warmed up to it, or I'm interested enough in the action that I don't care about the occasionally clunky word choice anymore.  Either way, while I'm still enjoying the read, I think I've figured out a lot more than I'm supposed to have at this point.  None of the reveals so far have been a surprise.  I hope the rest of the series has a little less telegraphing.

This week I'll be finishing City of Bones and starting Disney in Shadow, the third book in the Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson, for his Children's Book Week event.

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think the Mortal Instrument series gets any better as far the writing goes, but I just got sucked into the drama. Book 4 was not very good, but if you end up becoming invested in the story you just have to suffer through. Book 5 was great. I still prefer her steampunk series. Have a great reading week! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1vs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the Mortal Instrument series. For me, it was more the characters than anything that swept me away. I agree with the other commenter that the Infernal Devices, Clare's other series, is better.

    My Monday post!! :)
    ~ Gabbi

    ReplyDelete