Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, April 22, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Second Chance, the second book in The Slayer Chronicles by Heather Brewer for Children's Book Week.  Rather than giving Joss's perspective of Ninth Grade Slays, this book skips right over that action and goes to the fallout from his actions.  It offers an exciting story, but it's been too long since I read the corresponding Vlad Tod book, so there were some players whose names I recognized, but not much else.  There were also certain sections that required a bit too much suspension of disbelief.  But once you look past that, it's a great fun read.

Next I read Eighth Grade Bites: A Graphic Novel by Heather Brewer, adapted by Tony Lee, illustrated by Julia Laud.  I'm excited to see this series come to graphic novel where it might reach some readers reluctant to pick up a full-length novel, but I'm a bit disappointed in the adaptation.  The art is largely generic, and the dialogue is often stilted and awkwardly packed with exposition.  I wish it had been longer and allowed the plot to develop more naturally.  I'm curious to see if some of that is ironed out with future installments now that a lot of the characters and setting are established.

Finally, I started Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts, illustrated by Laura Park, for World Book Night.  I must admit, I was not very excited to read this one, but it's pretty enjoyable.  There's already been one complication that surprised me in a good way.

This week I'll be finishing Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life, then starting on City of Bones, the first book in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series.

What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy City of Bones! I had some concerns about it and was annoyed when she decided to drag the trilogy into 6 books, but overall it is a lot of fun. On the other hand, I LOVE the prequel trilogy so much! Have a great reading week. http://wp.me/pzUn5-1u9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm barely into it, and while the story intrigues me, the writing style isn't exactly my thing. I'm curious to see whether some of the bumps get smoothed out as the series goes on or if I just don't connect with her prose.

      Delete
  2. I had a kid ask me for "Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life" the other day at the library. He was pretty excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see why. It's a great read-alike for Wimpy Kid fans.

      Delete
  3. I really need to read Patterson's new series, looks like something my students would really enjoy!

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this should appeal to a lot of reluctant readers and kids looking for something light. They're quick reads, so it shouldn't take you long if you want to investigate.

      Delete
  4. The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod is a series I've wanted to read for some time but haven't gotten to. Sounds like when I do start it I should stick with the original book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely pick up the originals over the graphic novels, although the graphic novel might get a reluctant reader into the story and encourage them to pick up the full-length version. Start with Vlad too. Joss's series could be read independent, but it will spoil a lot of the surprises.

      Delete