Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, April 15, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Requiem, the final book in the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver, for Teen Science Fiction and Fantasy Night.  I really enjoyed the split narrative, but a couple of the characters started acting in ways that just made me want to slap them, and as a result, I can't say I loved the ending, but overall the series is well worth a read.

Next, I read The Lightning Thief, the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan, for World Book Night.  I know I'm late to the party, here, but I did really enjoy it, despite finding the plot a bit predictable.  It was a lot of fun, and the creative updates of the Greek myths were great.  I look forward to the rest of the series.

Next up was Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven, a supplement to the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver, also for Teen Science Fiction and Fantasy Night.  I really enjoyed these alternate viewpoints.  They really added a new dimension to a lot of the action in the series proper, especially Hana's take on the events of Delirium.  If you've already read Requiem, some of the reveals are lost, but I didn't really mind.

Finally, I started Second Chance, the second book in The Slayer Chronicles by Heather Brewer, for Children's Book Week.  I'm just getting into the meat of the plot, but the stakes are already high (no pun intended), and it's safe to say if you're already a fan, you won't want to miss this installment.













This week I'll be finishing Second Chance, then reading Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson and Chris Tibbetts for World Book Night.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. I love Percy, but I have to say I am enjoying the spin-off series even more! I hope you stick with them, they get a lot better! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1tH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I'm reading a parenting book and oodles of picture books. I haven't picked up a good YA book in awhile. Your post reminds me that I should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really fell in love with the Percy Jackson series. I still have yet to read Oliver's work, but I really need to. :)

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Percy Jackson party- I love everything Rick Riordan writes.
    I am very behind on the Delirium series- need to get a-readin'.

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete