Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, April 1, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week, I finished First Kill, the first book in the Slayer Chronicles by Heather Brewer for her author event.  If you're a fan of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, you definitely need to pick up this series.  It's a great use of alternative viewpoints, and gets more intense more quickly than the previous series.  There are some great cameo appearances that will leave Vlad's fans excited for the next books.  I read a complimentary copy provided by Dial.

Next I read The 13-Story Treehouse by Andy Griffiths, illustrated by Terry Denton, the first in a new series.  This is perfect for fans of Captain Underpants, although it has less gross humor.  It's just pure silliness and ridiculous scenarios.  Great for reluctant readers.  I read an Advance Readers Copy provided by Macmillan.

Finally, I started Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone for her author event.  I haven't gotten far enough in to really have any idea what's going on yet, but I'm enjoying the set-up and writing style quite a bit.  I'm reading an Advance Readers Copy from Disney Press.













Next week I'll be finishing Time Between Us, then starting Requiem, the last book in the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver for her author event.

What are you reading?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed Time Between Us and will most likely pick up the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly enjoying it so far. I can't wait to get into the meat of the story.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That one sounds like it might leave me a little paranoid... I do love a good thriller, though!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mini-review of 13-Story Treehouse. I'm always on the lookout for books that my son would enjoy. He's a big fan of Capt Underpants, so we'll try this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this book could be a huge hit in younger boys demographic. I hope it is, anyway!

      Delete
  4. OMG I AM SO JEALOUS. Time Between Us is one of those books I looked at and I was all like, "I neeeeeeeeed it." I haven't read it yet BUT I WILL ONE DAY. 'Tis a lifelong mission of mine ;D

    Also, I loved Requiem. In my opinion, Delirium was the best of the series. But obviously Lauren Oliver is amazing and everything she writes is gold. Hope you enjoy!

    My Monday Post! :)
    ~Gabbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any farther in Time Between Us than when I posted, but I'm definitely a fan of the writing already. I certainly recommend checking it out.

      Delete
  5. I love the cover of the 13-story Treehouse, sounds like an awesome read for kids! I finally started reading Heather Brewer's first series of Vlad and love it so far. :)

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Vlad books get better as they go on. There are a lot more morally gray situations and high stakes. If you already like it, you're in for a treat with later books.

      Delete