Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, March 18, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Poison by Bridget Zinn.  I really liked this one, but I'll be covering it in more detail later this week, so I'm not going to say any more now.  I read an ARC from Hyperion.


Next I read Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans for her author event.  I loved the concept and characters.  It's a truly unique look at the afterlife in a genre where most dead characters are either ghosts or angels.  I find myself wanting to know a lot more about this universe.  However, I also feel like I should already know more.  I found descriptions to be a bit muddy, leaving me confused when offered a detail that conflicted with the mental picture I had already built.  The dialog could also be a bit clunky, with a distracting lack of contractions.  That said, those are my only complaints and it's still a very enjoyable read.  I read a complimentary copy from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.


Finally I started Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver for her author event.  The writing is beautiful, as in Delirium, but it seems the plot may be a bit predictable.  Maybe I'm just not far enough in yet, but there doesn't seem to be much suspense.














There were picture books, too:

Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug! by Mem Fox, illustrated by Laura Ljungkvist
Very cute, basic seek-and-find.
I read an F&G from Beach Lane Books.


The Great Lollipop Caper by Dan Krall
Fantastically weird.  How many picture books about capers can you name?
I read an F&G from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.


I Am Not a Copycat! by Ann Bonwill, illustrated by Simon Rickerty
The message on this one is a little weird.  Copying others is a good thing, unless you don't want to.
I read an F&G from Atheneum Books for Young Readers.


How to Negotiate Everything by David Spellman with Lisa Lutz, illustrated by Jaime Temairik
This is great.  I'm not sure how many people will want to buy it for their kids, but adults will love it.
I read an F&G from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.


Cousin Irv from Mars by Bruce Eric Kaplan
What a wonderful book!  There is something vaguely ethereal about it, but also tells a great story with a great message.
I read an F&G from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.


The Monstore by Tara Lazar, illustrated by James Burks
Cute idea, but the story isn't quite developed enough.
I read an F&G from Aladdin.


Daredevil: The Daring Life of Betty Skelton by Meghan McCarthy
I have a new hero.  This woman was amazing.
I read an F&G from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.


The Lost (and Found) Balloon by Celeste Jenkins, illustrated by Maria Bogade
Sort of cute.
I read an F&G from Aladdin.


Linus the Vegetarian T. Rex by Robert Neubecker
A fun and silly book for dinosaur fans.
I read an F&G from Beach Lane Books.


What Floats in a Moat? by Lynne Berry, illustrated by Matthew Cordell
A fun beginning look at buoyancy.
I read an F&G from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.


I Am the World by Charles R. Smith, Jr.
Beautiful photography with a nice message on the diversity and unity of humanity.
I read an F&G from Atheneum Books for Young Readers.


A Year with Marmalade by Alison Reynolds, illustrated by Heath McKenzie
Lovely illustration and a wonderful story about friendship.
I read an F&G from Little Simon.











This week I'll be finishing Pandemonium and starting The Floating Islands by Rachel Neumeier for her appearance at Comic Con.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. I have seen Poison around the blogging world quite a bit lately, I think I am going to have to check it out!

    And Linus the Vegetarian T-Rex! I need that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poison is being covered heavily because the author passed away in 2011, so her husband, agent and others undertook an online publicity campaign in her absence. It's very hard to make a successful debut novel without an author to pour his or her heart and soul into promotion. I hope this one beats the odds.

      Delete
  2. Bridget Zinn's story is so tragic, but I'm glad to see how well Poison is doing! I'm itching to read it, especially after all the glittering reviews it got. Also intrigued by Level 2. I've glimpsed the cover here and there but have only just read the synopsis that you provided and it sounds really innovative! Following you and can't wait to read your thoughts on Poison! :)

    My IMWAYR List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Level 2 is definitely worth a look if the premise appeals to you. It's very fast moving, so it won't even require you to carve out much time for it.

      Delete
  3. I love the look of some of your F&G . . . that Betty Skelton one looks great. I recall her showing up in some of the Amelia Earhart books I've read. And I love how unique the illustrations look for Year With Marmalade, not that I'd ever judge a book by its cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty Skelton is pretty amazing. The book includes some fun facts and quotes in the back, along with a timeline of her life, all of which make her really likable and very impressive.

      Delete