Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, March 25, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver for her author event.  While I certainly liked this installment, it didn't quite live up to Delirium.  I found the first book to have a unique atmosphere that reminded more of classic dystopia (a la Orwell or Atwood) while the sequel is more action-based.  Still, I can't wait to read the series conclusion.

Then I read The Floating Islands by Rachel Neumeier for her appearance at Comic Con.  This is a very traditional fantasy, and while that's not usually my genre-of-choice, I did quite enjoy this one.  I did prefer the character development of the early part of the novel to the later, more war-oriented plot.

Finally I started First Kill by Heather Brewer for her author event.  I'm only one chapter in, so I can't really say much, except that it seems like if you liked Vladimir Tod, you'll like this series too.  I'm reading a complimentary copy from Dial.















I also had a few upcoming picture books on the docket:

Let's Make Faces by Hanoch Piven
A silly crafty book, very good for preschoolers.
I read an F&G from Atheneum Books for Young Readers.


Chick-o-saurus Rex by Lenore and Daniel Jennewein
Cute story with a nice science tie-in.
I read an F&G from Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.


Trick-or-Treat: A Happy Haunter's Halloween by Debbie Leppanen, illustrated by Tad Carpenter
A bright a colorful book with rhymes that will make little ones laugh.
I read an F&G from Beach Lane Books.


Crafty Chloe: Dress-Up Mess-Up by Kelly DiPucchio, illustrated by Heather Ross
I'm really liking this series.  The crafting angle is really fun, and the writing appeals to all age levels.
I read an F&G from Atheneum Books for Young Readers.











This week I'll be finishing First Kill and starting Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone for her author event.

What are you reading?

10 comments:

  1. Ok, you have convinced me to give Vlad another shot. It has been so long since I read the first one that I may just start over with Eight Grade. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weekend I was working a Comic Con booth and she was definitely the most asked about author whose books we had out. She has a huge and passionate fan base, and after reading the books, I see why. You might also be interested in the conference she's working on, Less Than Three.

    http://lessthanthreeconference.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Pandemonium didn't live up to its predecessor. Delirium is full of beautifully bittersweet moments and the scary descent into love, and the following 2 books are about fighting for that love. The whole series is good, but Delirium has a mood that exists only in that book.

    I got an ARC of First Kill and really loved it! I hope you do too :)
    My Monday post :)

    ~Gabbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid Delirium might be the best of the bunch. Still, I'm very much enjoying the rest of the series.

      First Kill is great so far. I can't wait to see how this whole series ties into Vlad's.

      Delete
  4. I read Eighth Grade Bites a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I will have to check out the follow up series when I get through the rest of the books. Enjoy!

    The Monster Report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read Vlad before starting Slayer Chronicles. I have a feeling there might be some spoilers otherwise.

      Delete
  5. I met Heather Brewer at a reader conference in St. Louis a few years ago. Came out of the stall and met a lady with bright, bright pink hair and couldn't help but discuss it. She was so nice and later when I found out she was the author of Vladimir Todd, I went back to say hi. She remembered we were bathroom buddies :)

    Have a lovely reading week :) What are you reading this week @ the Brunette Librarian’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather is amazing. She lives very close to us, so we work with her a lot and she couldn't be nicer. She's working on an anti-bullying conference right now that looks awesome.

      http://lessthanthreeconference.com/

      Delete
  6. I loved Crafty Chloe...although, I'm pretty sure I have only read one! I'll have to go see what others are in the series. I looooove being crafty. Actually just grabbed some embroidery floss from my stash so I can teach my son how to make friendship bracelets. I could make some hardcore friendship bracelets back in the day.

    I liked Delirium better than Pandemonium, too. I think it was the timeline going back and forth in Pandemonium that bothered me. But both had crazy endings that had me insanely mad at Lauren Oliver because I so desperately want to know what happens next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the second Crafty Chloe, so you're not behind! From what I heard when the first book came out, they wanted it to be a major series, but then I didn't hear anything for a while, so I was afraid they abandoned the idea.

      Delete