Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, March 11, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Delirium by Lauren Oliver for her author event.  I really like this one.  A lot of people say that it's a new and fresh take on dystopia, but I find that it gets more back to the roots of the genre.  It's very Orwellian in the way it takes a realistic social movement just a little too far without changing much else about society.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

Next I read To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others by Daniel H. Pink.  This is an easy and quick read that will get you thinking about sales in a new way, both in how you define it and how you approach it.

Finally I started Poison by Bridget Zinn.  I really like the storytelling here.  The plot is unfolding in a nonlinear way that really keeps you guessing, but doesn't feel gimmicky.  I'm reading an Advance Readers Copy from Hyperion.














I also read some picture books:

Colors for Zena by Monica Wellington
An eye-catching book that teaches not just colors, but the concept of mixing colors to create new ones.
I read an F&G from Dial Books for Young Readers.

Pest in Show by Victoria Jamieson
A cute book about siblings getting along and working together.
I read an F&G from Dial Books for Young Readers.
Olive's Perfect World: A Friendship Story by Jennifer Plecas
A surprisingly touching story about the meaning of friendship and common worries when your friend makes a new friend.
I read an F&G from Philomel Books.


Henry's Map by David Elliot
A nice introduction to maps with a clever twist that kids will delight in figuring out.
I read an F&G from Philomel Books.

Max and the Tag-Along Moon by Floyd Cooper
A beautiful and sweet story.
I read an F&G from Philomel Books.

The Gingerbread Man Loose on the Fire Truck by Laura Murray, illustrated by Mike Lowery
I guess this is a series.  I'm not sure how well the character and the story match up here.
I read an F&G from G.P. Putnam's Sons.












My Lucky Birthday by Keiko Kasza
I'm not sure I really get this one.
I read an F&G from G.P. Putnam's Sons.


Bully by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
A simple and effective anti-bullying message with striking visuals.
I read an F&G from Roaring Brook Press.










This week, I'll be finishing Poison and starting Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans for her author event.

What are you reading?

14 comments:

  1. I love your sneak peak picture books! Henry's Map and Olive's Perfect World are catching my eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have booksellers who are excited about both of those. Both very sweet books.

      Delete
  2. I am working on Poison too. I was sad to learn the author passes away a couple of years ago. I am curious to see if she left any other works that will eventually be published. You seem to have a lot of author events...lucky, lucky. Cleveland is a quick stop away from you, please start sending some my way! http://wp.me/pzUn5-1rH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first learned about Poison from the online campaign her husband, agent and others are running in her absence to get the word out. They're organizing a blog tour and a lot of other activities. You should check it out! http://bridgetzinn.com/help/index.php

      We do have a huge events department. We do over 300 events a year! We've been lucky to see an uptick in the children's and YA authors we've had over the last couple years, which is certainly helped by the fact that two amazing authors, Antony John and Fiona Paul, live within blocks of our store, and lots more are in the St. Louis area.

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to Henry's May and Max and the Tagalong Moon! :) Great list you have here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max and the Tag-Along Moon is just lovely. It will make a great bedtime story, especially for grandpas to read.

      Delete
  4. I saw a lot of talk about Poison on Twitter this week, and I'm intrigued!!
    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've been doing a great job getting the word out. I'm not sure if you saw the link in my above reply to rockyriverteenlibrarian, but Bridget Zinn passed away in 2011, so since this is her first book and she can't do any publicity herself, her husband, agent and others have taken it upon themselves to make sure everyone knows about it. I'll be doing my part in the next few days.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read one of these picture books. I'll look for them. I read Delirium as soon as it came out and I haven't returned to the sequels, although I did really like Delirium. One of these days I'll get to them.
    Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all advance readers from the summer season of Penguin (and Macmillan, in the case of the last book). So you haven't been remiss, they just aren't on the shelves yet!

      I'll be reading the Delirium sequels over the next few weeks. I've heard they live up to the original.

      Delete
  6. I just picked up Delirium the other day

    I hope you enjoy your reading choices this week!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you'll regret it. I can't wait to read Pandemonium!

      Delete
  7. I'd like to read Delirium and Poison. Good luck with your reading this week. Here's my list if you'd like to visit...http://momssmallvictories.com/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-march-11-2013/

    ReplyDelete