Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, March 4, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finally finished Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.  I have to say, I'm not on board for this one.  It was much too long for the plot (at least the interesting part of it) and the characters were never developed enough for me to care about them.

Next I started Delirium by Lauren Oliver in preparation for her author event.  I'm really enjoying it.  The world building is really fantastic, depicting a very realistic-feeling dystopia that is all the more uncomfortable for being so recognizable.  I'm also loving that she's taking so much time to develop relationships--not only between characters, but between characters and their society--before leaping into action.









I also read some upcoming picture books.

Joone by Emily Kate Moon
Really captures the simple and straightforward joys of a five-year-old.
I read an F&G from Dial Books for Young Readers.

Bella's Rules by Elissa Haden Guest, illustrated by Abigail Halpin
A creative take on the importance of rules.  Might get kids asking why they can't have a puppy when they misbehave, though.
I read an F&G from Dial Books for Young Readers.

Glasswings: A Butterfly's Story by Elisa Kleven
Bright and pretty illustrations, but the text is a bit dense.
I read an F&G from Dial Books for Young Readers.

Tiny the Birthday Dog by Cari Meister, illustrated by Rich Davis
Extremely basic leveled reader.  Not much of a story.
I read an F&G from Penguin Young Readers.


How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow? by Wendell Minor
Not really about pumpkins, more about big.  Big things all over the U.S. and synonyms for big.
I read an F&G from Nancy Paulsen Books.












This Is the Rope: A Story from the Great Migration by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by James Ransome
A beautiful story of family and place and history.
I read an F&G from Nancy Paulsen Books.


Twenty-Six Pirates: An Alphabet Book by Dave Horowitz
Cute, but I would have liked to see some girl pirates.  (I know there's also a Twenty-Six Princesses, but I'd rather not see the segregation.)
I read an F&G from Nancy Paulsen Books.

Everyone Sleeps by Marcellus Hall
Great illustrations, but the rhyme scheme is a bit forced and odd at times.
I read an F&G from Nancy Paulsen Books.


Miss Maple's Seeds by Eliza Wheeler
What a gorgeous book.
I read an F&G from Nancy Paulsen Books.


The Story of Fish and Snail by Deborah Freedman
I love the concept, but the story sort of ended before it began.
I read an F&G from Viking.


Hooray Parade by Barbara Joosse, illustrated by Hyewon Yum
A fun sing-songy read-aloud.
I read an F&G from Viking.


Truck Stop by Anne Rockwell, illustrated by Melissa Iwai
I might be being picky, but I'm not sure how realistic a family-run truck stop with the same customers every day is.
I read an F&G from Viking.


Don't Eat the Baby! by Amy Wong
Great books for older kids who are about to become siblings.
I read an F&G from Viking.


Octopus Alone by Divya Srinivasan
Very striking illustrations and a nice message.
I read an F&G from Viking.












The Case of the Missing Donut by Alison McGhee, illustrated by Isabel Roxas
A very cute mystery kids will have fun solving before the characters.
I read an F&G from Dial Books for Young Readers.

This week I'll be finishing Delirium and reading To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others by Daniel H. Pink for his author events.

10 comments:

  1. There are some great looking picture books coming around the bend, aren't there. Miss Maple's Seeds looks lovely! And Lauren Oliver books are on my "I'm going to read more YA list!" :) I'd love to hear your thoughts on Navigating Early when you get there . . . lovely, but it definitely strikes me as better for older readers. Still thinking about the characters.

    --Lorna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely is the perfect word for Miss Maple's Seeds. It reminds me of something I can't quite place, but I think it's animation rather than a picture book.

      Definitely give Delirium a try. I'm really loving it.

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued by Octopus Alone and The Case of the Missing Donuts! Thanks for the sneak peek!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Octopus Alone is quite beautiful and they seem to be giving it a big push. Undersea picture books is one of those inexplicable trends right now, so there are a lot of readalikes too.

      The Case of the Missing Donuts should be good for an interactive storytime with a small group.

      Delete
  3. Funny, we are on opposite sites here. I enjoyed Beautiful Creatures and I am looking forward to seeing the movie, but I could not get into Delirium. I hope you enjoy your reading this week! Do you think you'll watch the tv show of Delirium? http://wp.me/pzUn5-1rb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably check out the TV show and I'll certainly be watching casting news. I'm very seldom happy with these things. I'll keep an open mind, though.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Beautiful Creatures, but can definitely see it being a bit too long. Hope you enjoy your reads better this week.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost finished with Delirium and still loving it, then looking forward to a complete change of pace with Dan Pink. I hear he's an amazing speaker and can't wait to hear him.

      Delete
  5. Wow, quite a collection of picture books. I'm intrigued by 26 Pirates, but would be far MORE intrigued with some girl pirates included...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very disappointed in the "girls are princesses, boys are pirates" angle. If you'd like a good girl-pirate book, try Pirate Princess by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen, illustrated by Jill McElmurry.

      Delete