Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, February 18, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Looking for Alaska by John Green for the March meeting of Teen Reads.  It's a hard book to talk about without spoilers, so I'll just say that it's excellent, although not always exactly enjoyable to read.  It's somewhat of a cathartic experience.

Next I read Fire in the Streets, the sequel to The Rock and the River, by Kekla Magoon for her author event.  This one wasn't quite as gripping as the original, but was still a very interesting and all-to-rare look into the positive social change being taken on by the Black Panther Party in the 1960s.  It's billed as a companion novel, but definitely read The Rock and the River first as Fire in the Streets gives away almost every plot point for that book.

Finally I started Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.  I'm not really even into the plot yet, but I'm enjoying the fact that the narrator is an everyman rather than the special chosen one, which is far more common in paranormal YA.  And honestly, I'm just thrilled not to be reading another gut-punch of a book.  The last six I've read were so heavy.

Next week I'll be finishing Beautiful Creatures and starting Poison by Bridget Zinn.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. Great combination of books. I'm reading some heavy books, too, these days, and went for some lighter reading detours, including a Wonderland book. Have a great reading week! here are my reads: http://virtual-notes.blogspot.de/search/label/bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I get to read light for a little while now, with Beautiful Creatures and the World Book Night picks from the children's department.

      Delete
  2. I'd really like to read that John Green. I recently read The Fault in Our Stars and was blown away.

    Have a great week of reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fault in Our Stars is definitely his strongest writing, but Looking for Alaska may hit some notes of personal identification for some readers (myself included). Of course, the reverse could also me true. Everything he's written is worth reading.

      Delete