Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, February 11, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week, I finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky in preparation for the February meeting of Writers Read.  This is not at all the book I expected it to be.  The ending absolutely floored me.  I feel the need to reread it, knowing what I know now.

Then I read Hold Fast by Blue Balliett in preparation for her author event.  This is a powerful book covering topics of homelessness and disenfranchisement in a way that will really resonate with middle graders.  There's also a mystery to solve.  A great appreciation for words and books permeates everything.  I'm a little disappointed that it didn't stay as stylized and literary as the first two chapters, but it's still a great read.  I read an Advance Readers Copy from Scholastic Press.

Next I read The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon in preparation for her author event.  Another gut punch of a book.  It's very effective at putting the civil rights movement in an everyday context.  Also notable is the relatively balanced look at the nonviolence movement and the Black Panthers.

Finally, I started Looking for Alaska by John Green in preparation for the March meeting of Teen Reads.  I'm barely into it, but I'm enjoying it so far.  Of course, I already knew I'd like the writing.











I also read a lot of picture books.  Like, a lot a lot.  Buckle up:

That Is NOT a Good Idea! by Mo Willems
Cute and a little twisted, as always.  I actually liked it better the second time through.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Balzer + Bray.

Tyler Makes Spaghetti by Tyler Florence, illustrated by Craig Frazier
A nice enough book about where food comes from.  Perhaps better for libraries.  Rather suspicious that they don't cover where meatballs come from, though...
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.
This Little Piggy by Tim Harrington
This is such a fun read-aloud.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Balzer + Bray/Harperteen.

A Special Gift for Grammy by Jean Craighead George, illustrated by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher
A sweet book.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.

Dig, Dogs, Dig: A Construction Tail by James Horvath
Bright and bold, with a lot to explore on each page.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.

Digger and Tom! by Sebastien Braun
Eh.  It's cute, I guess.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.

Ruff! and the Wonderfully Amazing Busy Day by Caroline Jayne Church
Cute and happy.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


Sticky, Sticky, Stuck! by Michael Gutch, illustrated by Steve Bjorkman
Nice sentiment, but not the best execution.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


My New Teacher and Me! by Al Yankovic, illustrated by Wes Hargis
A fun story with a great message that kids should be able to get into easily.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


Clark the Shark by Bruce Hale, illustrated by Guy Francis
A fun new character who helps teach kids with extra energy what to do with it.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


123 versus ABC by Mike Boldt
A fun and zany book.  Great sense of humor.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


If You Were a Panda Bear by Wendell and Florence Minor
Better for libraries and schools.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Katherine Tegen Books.


Hedgehug's Halloween by Dan Pinto, illustrated by Benn Sutton
Cute, but unless I'm a little obtuse, it's a bit difficult to tell what's going on.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


My Daddy, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by Martin Luther King III, illustrated by AG Ford
A very readable and sweet story that makes Dr. King relatable to even the youngest.
I read an Advance Readers Copy (with unfinished illustrations) from Amistad Press.


Giant Dance Party by Betsy Bird, illustrated by Brandon Dorman
A nice little story about overcoming fears with lots of bright colorful illustrations.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Greenwillow Books.


Tiptoe Joe by Ginger Foglesong Gibson, illustrated by Laura Rankin
A nice read-aloud for the youngest of the young.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Greenwillow Books.


Coral Reefs by Seymour Simon
A ton of information and gorgeous photos.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


Diary of a Worm: Teacher's Pet based on the creation of Doreen Cronin and Harry Bliss, by Lori Haskins Houran, illustrated by John Nez
A fun story kids should get some laughs out of.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


Digger the Dinosaur by Rebecca Kai Dotlich, illustrated by Gynux
A silly book for very young ones.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from HarperCollins.


To the Top!: A Gateway Arch Story by Amanda E. Doyle, illustrated by Tony Waters
A nice St. Louis appreciation for all ages.

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt, illustrated by Oliver Jeffers
Such a great idea and very funny.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Philomel.


Matilda and Hans by Yokococo
Adorable.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


Wash-a-Bye Bear by Thomas Docherty
A sweet story that addresses a common childhood concern.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


Jemmy Button by Jennifer Uman and Valerio Vidali
A beautifully illustrated story that will be fascinating to older kids.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


The World Belongs to You by Ricardo Bozzi, illustrated by Olimpia Zagnoli
A striking looking book with a great message.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


Paul Thurlby's Wildlife by Paul Thurlby
More fun graphic design from Thurlby.  I want posters.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


FArTHER by Grahame Baker-Smith
A hauntingly beautiful book.  Very weird.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


The Noisy Book by Soledad Bravi
A epic board book.  Very cute.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Gecko Press.


Brief Thief by Michael Escoffier and Kris Di Giacomo
Very funny.  Did not see the ending coming.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Enchanted Lion Books.


Thunderstorm by Arthur Geisert
Beautiful illustrations.  Lots of detail to explore.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Enchanted Lion Books.


I Spy on the Farm by Edward Gibbs
Another solid installment in the series.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


King of Space by Jonny Duddle
A nice idea, but it tends to meander.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


Dinosaur Zoom! by Penny Dale
Dinosaurs.  Driving cars.  How could this miss?
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Nosy Crow.


The Princess and the Peas by Caryl Hart and Sarah Warburton
A great subversion of princess fantasies.  Also good for kids who won't eat their veggies.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Nosy Crow.


Puffin Peter by Petr Horacek
Love the illustrations, but the plot has some glaring holes.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Peppa Pig and the Muddy Puddles by Candlewick Press
I'm told Peppa Pig is a thing.  I'm not sure I get it.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Maisy Learns to Swim by Lucy Cousins
Maisy helps with another common area of trepidation.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Romping Monsters, Stomping Monsters by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Kelly Murphy
A less sleepy version.  Beautiful illustrations.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Vampire Baby by Kelly Bennett, illustrated by Paul Meisel
A fun story about accepting younger siblings.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Ghost in the House by Ammi Joan Paquette, illustrated by Adam Record
Awesome illustrations.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


20 Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street by Mark Lee, illustrated by Kurt Cyrus
A counting book with problem solving and great illustrations.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Nurse Clementine by Simon James
Cute.  Perfect for kids in a playing-doctor phase.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


My Dad Thinks He's Funny by Katrina Germein, illustrated by Tom Jellett
We all know this dad.  Great for Father's Day.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Bye-Bye Baby Brother! by Sheena Dempsey
Lots of good sibling books right now.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Hooray for Bread by Allan Ahlberg, illustrated by Bruce Ingman
Who'd have thought you could make an entertaining picture book out of an ordinary loaf of bread?
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


The Deer Watch by Pat Lowery Collins, illustrated by David Slonim
Beautiful book, but perhaps a bit strange for kids who are used to deer.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Mouse Bird Snake Wolf by David Almond, illustrated by David McKean
Supremely weird and wonderful with fantastic illustrations.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Farmer John's Tractor by Sally Sutton, illustrated by Robyn Belton
Cute rhyming read-aloud.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


World Rat Day: Poems of Real Holidays You've Never Heard Of by J. Patrick Lewis, illustrated by Anna Raff
A neat idea that should interest kids.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


The Matchbox Diary by Paul Fleischman, illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline
Beautiful.  Schools should take note of this.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Bobbo Goes to School by Shirley Hughes
A different way of telling a first-time-at-school story.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Phoebe and Digger by Tricia Springstubb, illustrated by Jeff Newman
Another great new sibling book.  Bonus playing with non-gender-stereotypical toys.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


I Dare You Not to Yawn by Helene Boudreau, illustrated by Serge Bloch
A silly and clever bedtime story.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Python by Christopher Cheng, illustrated by Mark Jackson
Pretty.  A nice blend of story and nonfiction.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


One Gorilla: A Counting Book by Anthony Browne
A lovely counting book.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Rosie's Magic Horse by Russell Hoban, illustrated by Quentin Blake
Fun, but a bit bizarre at the end.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


The Story of Frog Belly Rat Bone by Timothy Basil Ering
A wholly unique book.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Peep and Ducky by David Martin
Eh.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Nora's Chicks by Patricia MacLachlan, illustrated by Kathryn Brown
A nice story.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Becoming Babe Ruth by Matt Tavares
No one does baseball picture books like Matt Tavares.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Desmond and the Very Mean Word by Desmond Tutu, illustrated by A.G. Ford
A great lesson book.  Good for school.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


The Black Rabbit by Philippa Leathers
So cute.  Kids will love recognizing what the bunny doesn't.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Slow Snail by Mary Murphy
Cute and shiny.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Quick Duck! by Mary Murphy
Cute, but not as shiny.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Maisy's Fairground by Lucy Cousins
I love the Maisy pop-ups.  They work so well.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Maisy Grows a Garden by Lucy Cousins
Maisy pull-the-tabs are also fun.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Faces for Baby: An Art for Baby Book by Yana Peel
A cool concept book.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Templar.


Benny and Penny in Just Pretend by Geoffrey Hayes
Cute, but not my favorite Toon Books.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Toon Books.


Benny and Penny in The Toy Breaker by Geoffrey Hayes
Again.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Toon Books.


Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking by Philippe Coudray
Clever and wry one-page comics.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Toon Books.


Chick and Chickie Play All Day! by Claude Ponti
I'm...not sure I get this one?
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Toon Books.


Little Mouse Gets Ready by Jeff Smith
I love everything Jeff Smith does.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Toon Books.


Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons by Agnes Rosenstiehl
Cute.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Toon Books.


Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas by Philippe Coudray
More silly one-page stories.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Toon Books.


Barry's Best Buddy by Renee French
Weird, but awesome.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Toon Books.


Guess How Much I Love You: Colors by Sam McBratney, illustrated by Anita Jeram
A nice concept book from the Nutbrown Hares.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Candlewick.


Pip and Posy: The Little Puddle by Axel Scheffler
A good book for potty training.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Nosy Crow.


Noodle Loves the Zoo by Marion Billet
A cute tactile book.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Nosy Crow.


Bizzy Bear: Pirate Adventure by Benji Davies
These are such well-constructed interactive books for little ones.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Nosy Crow.


Farm by James Brown
A very slick looking word book.  I hope there are more of these.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Walker & Company.


Bizzy Bear: Fire Rescue! by Benji Davies
Another fun interactive.
I read an Advance Readers Copy from Nosy Crow.












Next week I'll be finishing Looking for Alaska and starting Fire in the Streets, the companion novel to The Rock and the River, also by Kekla Magoon.

What are you reading?

10 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you have all those picture books to lighten up your super heavy YA novel reading! Glad to hear Elementals is a quick read. I love Antony John. I should just bump that one to the top of the list. Thanks for stopping by. Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The novels have been a bit gut-wrenching lately. I'm hoping to move on to something lighter after Fire in the Streets.

    I must admit a bit of bias: Left Bank is Antony's personal bookstore and I do a lot of events with him. But I loved his writing before we ever met, so I still feel safe in recommending him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Looking For Alaska when I read it last year and oh my, what a lot of picture books! I'll be reading a lot of those this week as my niece & nephew turn 3, I've been a good aunt and got them stacks of books :)

    Happy reading!

    My Monday Round-Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From everything I've heard, I will love Looking for Alaska. We're reading it for Teen Reads because it's a World Book Night pick and I'm always curious to see what they think deserves wide distribution.

      Delete
  4. Wowsers trousers, you were not kidding about all of those children's books! It looks a bit like the pile I read with my five year old minus the begging (mine) to please not read another Magic Treehouse book. :)

    Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ventured into Magic Tree House at all. It's a little bit of a daunting series to start. Perhaps someday...

      Delete
  5. Looking for Alaska is great! The Rock and the River is solid, too. I need to get my hands on the Blue Balliett book! Thanks for sharing your great reads! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold Fast is really great and will definitely open some people's eyes to some of the injustices in the world. It doesn't come out until March 1st, but definitely keep an eye out for it.

      Delete
  6. :) Is a lot of picture books - that list:)
    And your other books sound great too..need to read 'The Perks...' soon.. and have just bookmarked this list for now.. adding all this to my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely mention of PHOEBE AND DIGGER! Besides Phoebe being a hoot of a girl whose favorite toy is a digger, she's a child of color, wonderfully illustrated by Jeff Newman.

    ReplyDelete