Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, February 4, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I started by finishing The Trap Door, the third book in the Infinity Ring series, by Lisa McMann.  I liked the historical lessons (although this one treads a lot more familiar ground than the first two), but McMann's style doesn't mesh very well with the previous books.  It's a lot more tongue-in-cheek and self-conscious.  I read an Advance Readers Copy provided by Scholastic.

Next I read The Reece Malcolm List by Amy Spalding in preparation for her author event.  This book was so much fun to read.  The main character's interested (theatre, fashion, St. Louis) seemed to be designed specifically for me, and the writing is extremely clever.  It was sort of like reading The Gilmore Girls.  I read a complimentary copy provided by Entangled Teen.

Next I read The 5th Wave, the first in an upcoming series by Rick Yancey.  I read what turned out to be the first section of the book a few months back in order to blurb it for a conference, and I was surprised this time around to discover there are multiple narrators that broaden the story and make it much more epic.  This is a great read for those who are attracted to the more science fictiony dystopias, but might not want hard SF.  I would not be at all surprised to see a movie deal out of this one.  I read a manuscript provided by Putnam Juvenile.

Next came Castle Waiting, Volume 1 by Linda Medley.  This had been presented to me as a young adult graphic novel, but I'm not sure why.  There's no reason teens wouldn't like it, but it's not specifically tailored to them either.  It's a very interesting way to challenge some gender stereotypes with some extremely charming elements as well.  (I love the demons and sprites.)

After that was Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden in preparation for the Lesbian Reading Group's February meeting.  This was certainly groundbreaking at the time of publication and it remains a sweet story, but there are a lot of elements that will seem very dated to today's teen audience, to the point of not being able to identify with the characters at times.

Finally, I started The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky in preparation for Writers Read's February meeting.  I really just started this, so I can't say much, but I do really like the narrative voice.

Next week I'll be finishing The Perks of Being a Wallflower and starting Hold Fast by Blue Balliett in preparation for her author event.

What are you reading?

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that cover of Annie on My Mind is SO MUCH BETTER than the cover of the edition my library has (which is from 1982!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was mildly irritated that neither of those girls looks like an Italian with long black hair, but I just looked up the 1982 cover, and wow, that is horrible.

      Delete
  2. What a nice assortment of books. I have been meaning to start the Infinity Ring series because I loved The 39 Clues but haven't had a chance. My Monday Report is here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read 39 Clues, but I'm enjoying Infinity Ring more than I thought I would. I didn't expect it to have such an involved backstory.

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read Annie on My Mind for a while, but it's sad to hear that it's kind of dated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have phrased it inaccurately in my review. I think there's definitely still plenty of reason to read it. There are just things that a lot of teens today won't be able to identify with, like the fact that Liza, the narrator, thinks it's weird for people to use the word "gay" to describe homosexuals.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a great reading week with all those books :-) Hope you enjoy your upcoming ones.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already got a ton of great picture books under my belt this week that I can't wait to post about!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm a little over halfway through, and I am really enjoying it, although it's not at all what I expected.

      Delete
  6. My daughter wanted to read Perks of Being a Wallflower because Emma Watson was in the movie and my daughter is a big Harry Potter fan. Not surprisingly, my daughter was less than thrilled with Perks! It's funny what motivates kids to pick up certain books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely nothing like Harry Potter! I'm not surprised to see the movie inspiring some readers, though.

      Delete
  7. perks has been on my mind too for some time..:)
    nice list of books here today..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on my reading list forever, so I'm glad Writers Read has forced my hand.

      Delete