Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, January 28, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading! is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I started by finishing Passenger by Andrew Smith, the sequel to The Marbury Lens.  This was a pretty spectacularly creepy book.  I can see this series appealing to reluctant readers, even though it's on the longer side, due to the cinematic feel.  Great for teen boys.

Next I read Divide and Conquer by Carrie Ryan, the second book in the Infinity Ring series.  This one takes us to the Viking siege of Paris in the 800s.  I think this series would be a great classroom read for the history tie-in.  I certainly was inspired to look up this event I hadn't previously known about.  I read an Advance Readers Copy provided by Scholastic.

Finally I started The Trap Door by Lisa McMann, the third book in the Infinity Ring series.  On the other hand, this one may amuse kids who will know more about the historical event in question than the characters do.  This installment takes them into the Underground Railroad and also includes civil rights themes.  I read an Advance Readers Copy provided by Scholastic.







I also read some picture books from the Hachette Spring-Summer 2013 catalog:

Crankenstein by Samantha Berger, illustrated by Dan Santat
A cute little story.  Great illustrations.
I read a BLAD provided by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers.

Pinwheel by Salina Yoon
Bright and colorful.  The carousel/kite spread is best.
I read a sample copy provided by LB Kids.

Count My Kisses, 1, 2, 3 by Sandra Magsamen
Short and simple, the interactive element is a bit of a stretch.
I read a sample copy provided by LB Kids.

Red, Green, Blue, I Love You by Sandra Magsamen
See previous entry.
I read a sample copy provided by LB Kids.

Nighty Night, Little Green Monster by Ed Emberley
Very cute and well-executed die cut book.
I read a sample copy provided by LB Kids.
The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli
Cute story about a familiar fear (swallowing a watermelon seed) with a great color palette.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion Books.

Yoko Finds Her Way by Rosemary Wells
A nice story about how to follow signs and why.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion.

The Wee Hours by Stephanie Watson, illustrated by Mary GrandPre
Rather an odd story.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion.

Super Hair-O and the Barber of Doom by John Rocco
A funny and cute story with nice illustrations.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion Books.

Boom!:  Big, Big Thunder and One Small Dog by Mary Lyn Ray, illustrated by Steven Salerno
A lovely retro picture book about facing your fears.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion.

A Single Pearl by Donna Jo Napoli, illustrated by Jim LaMarche
A nice parable about the importance of individuals.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion.

Count the Monkeys by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Kevin Cornell
An awesome laugh-out-loud storytime title.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion Books.
Oliver and His Alligator by Paul Schmid
Cute and funny with just enough weird.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion Books.

You're Wearing That to School?! by Lynn Plourde, illustrated by Sue Cornelison
A sweet book about starting school and being yourself.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion Books.

Your Skeleton Is Showing: Rhymes of Blunder from Six Feet Under by Kurt Cyrus, illustrated by Crab Scrambly
This poetry collection is occasionally morbid, occasionally crude, good for Halloween.
I read a BLAD provided by Hyperion Books.




This week I'll be finishing The Trap Door and starting The Reese Malcolm List by Amy Spalding for her author event.  (Yes, I know I said that last week, but this time I mean it.)

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. The Marbury Lens is one book I'm hoping to get to in the near future, so I'm so happy that you liked it and the sequel - which I'm hoping to read too.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really great, but very intense. You have to be in the mood for something dark.

      Delete