Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, January 7, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I started by finishing Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances (my version says "Romances;" others say "Stories") by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle.  I really enjoyed all of these light-hearted warm-and-fuzzy stories...until the very end.  I really wish Myracle hadn't tried to bring all the previous main characters into her story, because her versions of them felt false after spending so much time with them in the other stories.

Next, I read Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King for Teen Reads's Janurary meeting.  She is one of my most recent favorite writers.  I was blown away by this book.  The slowly unfolding drama sucked me in and King's narrative style is one of the most original I've encountered lately.  The ending was a little too neat, but other than that, this is going on the mental favorites shelf.

Next I read Free to Be...You and Me by Marlo Thomas and Friends (the 35th anniversary version).  I'm not sure I can say anything about this book that everyone doesn't already know.  Somehow I had never read it, but no multicultural or equal-opportunity library is complete without it.

Finally, I started When We Were Free to Be: Looking Back at a Children's Classic and the Difference It Made edited by Lori Rotskoff and Laura L. Lovett for Rotskoff's upcoming author events.  This is a really interesting in-depth examination of the book/record/television special/play, what sparked its creation, the world it was coming into and the effect it had.  Many of the original creators are included in the collection of essays, giving a great behind-the-scenes look.  If you're interested in children's literature or the women's liberation movement, it's worth a look.

I continued reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott on Kobo.  I don't think I'm cut out for this particular brand of children's classic.  I like the characters, but can't get myself interested in anything they do.

This week, I'll be finishing When We Were Free to Be, then starting Jackie and Me by Dan Gutman in preparation for the theatrical version at Metro Theater Company.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by. I LOVED Vera Dietz. I recently read Ask the Passengers by A.S.King and it is official-she is an amazing writer and I must read all of her books. Little Women is on my list of books that I feel like I should read, but keep putting it off. 2013 is the year it is going to happen. Ditto with Ender's Game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. King's Everyone Sees the Ants is one of my favorite recommendations for teen boys looking for something contemporary.

      I'd definitely recommend reading Ender's Game before the movie comes out.

      Delete
  2. Little Women is written at a different pace, I think, than most children's books today. I'd be curious about what young readers think of it.

    Here is my It's Monday! What Are You Reading? I hope you will stop by! And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a slower pace than contemporary, but I think I'm just not cut out for domestic dramas.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to look at that When We Were Free book. Sorry about Little Women. It's just not for everyone. Maybe you could try Eight Cousins instead. That's my favorite. I love how the main character gets more gumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about 100 pages into When We Were Free to Be and definitely recommend it for anyone interested in women's liberation, 1970s culture or children's media.

      I'll look into Eight Cousins, although I think Les Miserables is going to be the next classic I tackle.

      Delete