Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, December 31, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

I skipped posting last week since it was Christmas Eve, but it was just as well, because all I did the previous week was get a little further in Soulbound, the first book in the Legacy of Tril series by Heather Brewer.  Last week I managed to finally finish it.  This is probably my favorite Heather Brewer book to date.  I love seeing her voice applied to a more traditional fantasy setting.  I'm also really enjoying some of the stereotypes that are getting challenged.  I can't wait for more in the series.  I read an Advance Readers Copy from the publisher.

Next I read Belladonna, the second book in The Secrets of the Eternal Rose series by Fiona Paul.  This is shaping up to be an excellent series for fans of a wide variety of genres.  There's historical, romance, mystery, thriller, horror, but not too much of any one to turn off those who usually avoid it.  This second book avoids many of the traps follow-up books often fall into, furthering the larger plot and deepening the characters' relationships while having its own distinct storyline.  Cass is one of my favorite heroines, remaining true to herself while being realistic for the time period, and--most importantly--never making me want to beat sense into her.  I read an Advance Readers Copy from the publisher.

Finally I started Let It Snow: Three Holiday Stories by Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle.  I'm barely into it, so I can't say much, other than that I like the narrator of Johnson's story quite a lot.

In an effort to familiarize myself with our new Kobo e-readers, I also downloaded the Kobo app to my phone and started reading Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.  So far, I find it pleasant enough, but not really my style.

This week I'll be finishing Let It Snow and starting Please Ignore Vera Dietz for the January meeting of Teen Reads.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. I remember being enthralled with Little Women when I was a kids. I wonder if I'd feel the same now with so much great writing for young adults out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep feeling like it's a series of vignettes with a tidy moral at the end of each one with nothing actually *happening*. I'm only 17% in, though.

      Delete
  2. Oh Little Women! I so loved this book when I was young. I think I was 12 thereabouts when I fell in love with this classic. I'm glad you have Let it Snow - I actually have a copy of that lying unloved in my shelves. I should have read it during the Holidays! Let me know if you're enjoying it. Have a great reading year ahead!

    ReplyDelete