Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, December 17, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's/YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week, I finished Finicky, the fifth book in the Aldo Zelnick Comic Novels series by Karla Oceanak, illustrated by Kendra Spanjer.  I liked the focus on healthy eating that can also taste good (along with some suggestions), but thought this is the most insufferable Aldo's been and he never really got the message in this one.  I read a complimentary copy from the publisher.

Next I read Glitch, the sixth book in the series.  This one made up for Aldo's misbehavior in the last book by having him get the message of the true Christmas spirit before it had to be spelled out for him.  It took a slightly different angle on the greedy-kids-at-Christmas narrative (and also includes Hanukkah traditions), and I liked the Gnome in the Home parody.  I read a complimentary copy from the publisher.

Next I read The Secret of the Fortune Wookiee, the third book in the Origami Yoda series by Tom Angleberger.  This series continues to impress with its nuanced view of child psychology that is still expressed in ways readers (even those younger than the characters) will understand.

Finally, I started Soulbound, the first book in the Legacy of Tril series by Heather Brewer.  This is a totally new angle for Brewer, with it's setting in a totally new fantasy world, but it maintains her distinctive voice.  I really enjoy the main character and can't wait to hear the answers to all the puzzles she's uncovering.  I'm reading an advance readers copy from the publisher.

This week, I'll be finishing Soulbound, then starting Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle for the December meeting of Teen Reads.

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I just adore the covers for Glitch and Finicky--both bound to attract readers! I totally agree with your sentiments of Secrets of a Fortune Wookiee. A third grader can get it and in a totally different way a seventh grader might connect with it. Love that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I thought the Origami Yoda books would be tricky to sell since the age of the characters is quite a bit older than most of the kids who are attracted to it, but I've found that just broadens the readership.

      Delete