Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, December 3, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's and YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Eleventh Grade Burns, the fourth book in The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer.  I like these books more and more as they go along.  It feels like they're growing into their subject matter, becoming darker and more violent as the audience ages.  Dorian is my favorite character in the series by far.

Next I read Twelfth Grade Kills, the final book in the series.  I loved the direction this took and found it a satisfying end to the series.  I found myself trying to guess what would happen and who to trust along with Vlad and getting it wrong as much as he did.  Some real surprises in this one.

Next up was Curse of the Were-Weiner, the third Dragonbreath book by Ursula Vernon.  I love this series.  This installment is truly absurdist and wacky fun.  I laughed out loud several times and even read sections to my fiance, who didn't hate it.

Next was Egghead, the fifth Aldo Zelnick Comic Novel by Karla Oceanak, illustrated by Kendra Spanjer.  It's a nice edition to the series, continuing Aldo's personal growth as he realizes the value of making an effort to communicate with others on their own terms rather than making them do all the work.  This book includes the standard English glossary, but also a Spanish one.  I read a complimentary copy provided by Bailiwick Press.

Finally, I started Lair of the Bat Monster, the fourth Dragonbreath book.  This one is back to a more educational focus, but still plenty of fun.  Where else will you get to learn about endangered species with a side of giant-bats-adopting-dragons?

This week I'll be continuing the Dragonbreath series with No Such Thing As Ghosts.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. The Dragonbreath books look cool! I will have to check them out, they seem like they would be a great addition to our library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely recommend them for libraries. There are a few schools we work with that can't keep them on the shelves.

      Delete
  2. Dragonbreath does look cool. We're always trying to find graphic novels that might appeal to our customers who like the Wimpy Kid books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragonbreath is great for Wimpy Kid fans. It's an excellent transition between graphic novel and conventional novel because the writing move seamlessly from one format to the other, usually several times a chapter.

      Delete