Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, November 26, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's and YA version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I started with Dragonbreath by Ursula Vernon.  I expected it to be cute and funny with great illustrations, but I was not prepared for it to be so sneakily educational.  I love the idea of starting with a subject kids are already interested in (in this case, pirates) and using it as a jumping off point to learn about something else (ocean life).

Next I read the second book in the series, Attack of the Ninja Frogs.  This one uses ninjas and samurai to teach about Asian cultures.  It was just as engaging as the first book and I loved the addition of a smart and strong girl lizard.

Finally, I started Eleventh Grade Burns, the fourth book in The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer for her author event.  I keep getting interrupted in this series, but I hope to finish this time.  This book seems to be taking things in a darker direction (not that it was ever all that light).  I've barely started, but I'm curious as where the series will go from here.

This week I'll be finishing Eleventh Grade Burns and starting on Twelfth Grade Kills to finally finish the series.

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod for awhile, but I hadn't realized it had gotten as far as eleventh grade already! I need to get with it.

    The Dragonbreath books sound great. I'll have to look into them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last book is actually twelfth grade! I believe that finishes the series, but there is a spin-off series called The Slayer Chronicles, the second book of which just came out.

    ReplyDelete