Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, November 12, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week, I started by finishing The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith.  This was a gripping and very creepy book; a perfect recommendation for teen boys.  I loved how it avoided exposition, allowing you to discover the world of Marbury through experience, just like the characters.

Next, I read Wild Girls by Mary Stewart Atwell.  This has been published and marketed as an adult book, despite its focus on teen girls in a boarding school, and I can see why.  It walks a rather awkward line between a YA book (teens with supernatural powers terrorizing a town, culminating in a final battle) and adult literary fiction (rather slow and ponderous at times with little idea of where the plot is going).  I found the concept and plot interesting in the end, but thought most of the characters were underdeveloped.


Next up was a Wimpy Kid mini-marathon with Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Rodrick Rules and The Last Straw by Jeff Kinney.  I've heard a lot about these (obviously), but hadn't gotten around to picking them up.  I flew through the first three and was pleasantly surprised by the sharp and precise sense of humor found throughout.

Finally, I started What Came from the Stars by Gary D. Schmidt.  I could not be more in love with his writing if I tried, so it doesn't so much matter what he's writing about, however the plots (which intersect while remaining distinct) are extremely compelling and complicated and human.  This puts a whole new face on middle grade science fiction.  *I am reading an Advance Readers Copy provided by the publisher.*

This week, I'll be finishing What Came from the Stars and starting Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage.

What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Your reads look so interesting! I have Marbury Lens on my reading list - and now I'm even more excited to get to it. Have a great week.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend The Marbury Lens, especially if you're in a position to recommend book to boys. I'm curious as to where the sequel, The Passenger, takes the story.

      Delete
  2. Your list looks great. I have to read the Wimpy Kid series myself but I think I am going to start with 'What Came from the Stars'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say enough wonderful things about Gary D. Schmidt's writing, so I completely agree with that plan! (Although you could probably get through all the Wimpy Kid books in the same amount of time.)

      Delete
  3. This is the second reference to The Marbury Lens I have seen. It looks really intriguing. I will have to find it and see if it lives up to the mentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said in my response to Tanya, if you need to come up with books for boys, it's definitely worth looking at.

      Delete
  4. Three Times Lucky made me laugh out loud so many times! The writing style is as unique as the characters. I think you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished it yesterday, and I did love it. Mo's voice is so unique!

      Delete