Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, November 5, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week, I started by reading Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan.  I really enjoy how different each of their collaborations are starting from basically the same premise (young adult chronicle their interpersonal romantic relationships through shifting narrators).  This one wasn't my favorite (that honor goes to Naomi and Ely), but it was a solidly entertaining read and seeing the same event from different viewpoints was always done in a convincing and compelling way.

Next I read Intentions by Deborah Heiligman.  Unfortunately, it suffered from the only narrative device I can think of that occasionally distances me from YA.  I like to call it "why-won't-you-just-talk-to-someone-about-it-already?itis."  That issue aside, Rachel was a narrator lots of girls are likely to find something in common with and her narrative voice is highly enjoyable, although there were a lot of loose ends left dangling while other endings felt too tidy.

Next up was Playing with Matches by Brian Katcher.  I would have enjoyed this more if I had read it before Almost Perfect as it only pales in comparison.  Still, I can't think of an author who captures teen boys better than Katcher and all his characters' flaws make for an emotionally engaging read.

Finally, I started The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith for his author event.  It is not at all what I thought it would be, but it is one of the creepiest books I've read in a long time.  I have no idea where it's going, but I can't wait to find out.

This week, I'll be finishing The Marbury Lens, then starting Wild Girls by Mary Stewart Atwell for her author event.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! I KNOW BRIAN KATCHER - LIKE SERIOUSLY KNOW THE GUY!! :) He works as a librarian in the same town where I work. Incredibly nice guy. Isn't Almost Perfect a wonderful story? I'm really looking forward to what he comes up with next.

    Whatcha readin' this week @ the Brunette Librarian :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently he read something from his next book, which he hopes will be out by 2015, at the author event we hosted for him. Unfortunately I missed it due to a prior engagement, but others who were in attendance are very excited.

      Delete
  2. Ooh The Marbury Lens is on my reading list too - hope to get to it soon. Hope you enjoy your books this week.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Marbury Lens turned out pretty great. It's definitely at the top of my recommendation list for teen boys now.

      Delete
  3. I NEED more Levithan in my life darn it. I really do. Looks like you had a fab week of reading :) Here's to another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, he's pretty prolific and shows no signs of stopping.

      Delete