Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, October 29, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week I finished Beta by Rachel Cohn for her author event.  This went a very different direction than I thought it would.  A lot more action and geopolitical consequences than I had assumed from the first few chapters.  I have some reservations (mostly about the slow start), but all-in-all, I can't wait to see where it goes (and I really have to stop reading books with cliffhanger endings when the sequel doesn't come out for months and months).  *I read an ARC provided by the publisher.*

Next I read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan for their author event.  This was not nearly as lighthearted as I thought it would be.  Instead of the back-and-forth romp across the city of Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, it ended up being a fairly rich exploration on the nature of relationships and how they change and grow over time.  It's still a quick read, but not quite full of laughs.

Finally, I read Every Day by David Levithan for that same author event.  This one had been on my reading list even before I knew he was coming to town.  It didn't disappoint.  This is a fascinating concept with some really moving scenes.  The main plot will keep you guessing and pining right along with the main character, but just as compelling are the vignettes of minor characters that really round out A's bizarre world.  *I read a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.*

For once I stopped at exactly the right spot, so I'm not in the middle of a book as I make this post.  Next up is either Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan for that oft-mentioned author event (if it comes in the mail today) or Intentions by Deborah Heiligman for her author visit.

What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Naomi and Ely's No Kiss LIst was such a cute book! I read it last year and loved it as I do with every book written by that duo.
    I'm a new follower.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can now say I am definitely a fan of the Cohn/Levithan collaborations. I didn't expect them to be so different from each other.

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. I have to get my hands on a copy of the Levithan, I've heard nothing but good things about it! One of these days ;)

    Have a great week of reading!
    The Relentless Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it. I do know one person who didn't like it, and now that I've read it, I'll have to find out why. All the other reviews I've heard have been great, though!

      Delete
  3. Dash and Lily and Every Day are both on my TBR list! I think Dash and Lily will be my Christmas book this year and I am waiting for my turn with Every Day. In the meantime, here is what I am working on http://wp.me/pzUn5-1he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dash and Lily is pretty perfect for Christmas. It's light and breezy to read, so it won't feel like a chore, and it really captures the bustling feel of a city during the holidays.

      Delete
  4. My daughter, who ONLY likes Harry Potter, read Beta and liked it. She has since decided that she likes science fiction. I liked Dash and Lily but was disappointed that the vocabulary kept it from being middle grade appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she liked Beta, you might see what she thinks of Cinder. It's a science fiction retelling of Cinderella (done very well). The world is grittier than the one in Beta, but there are a lot of other similarities she would probably like.

      Delete