Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, October 22, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

After a couple weeks of not posting due to being way to busy, I'm back.

Last week I started out by reading Surprises According to Humphrey, the fourth Humphrey book by Betty G. Birney.  Like the rest of the series, it is undeniably cute, but full of good lessons appropriate for the age group.  Kids should have lots of fun with the alien abduction storyline.

Next I read Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher for both the October Teen Reads meeting and his author event.  I really wish I had come into this not knowing what it was about (the teaser on the back actually covers the first third of the book, including a big reveal).  However, this was still an amazing read.  It will shatter you and then refuse to give you too much help picking up the pieces, all in the best way possible.  This should be a must-read for all teenagers, however I fear many schools and libraries would rather ban it.

Next up was Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan for their author visit.  This was a breezy, fun read; perfect for winter break.  (I also wish I had known this was a Christmas book.  I might have put it off a bit more.)  It's written in a smart and snappy way, but doesn't ever get to heavy.

That was followed by The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau.  The comparisons to The Hunger Games are absolutely inevitable, but there is enough to differentiate this series.  It's definitely a page-turner.  Several times I just wasn't going to be able to put the book down until I got a certain question answered.  I can't wait to see where the series is going.  (Too bad this installment isn't even slated for release until June, hence the lack of a cover image.)  *I read an ARC provided by the publisher.*

Finally, I started Beta by Rachel Cohn, also for her author event.  I haven't really gotten to the meat of the story yet, but the premise is certainly intriguing, and the narrative is unique.  *I'm reading an ARC provided by the publisher.*

This week, I'll be finishing up Beta, then starting Every Day by David Levithan, also for his author event.

What are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great reading! So glad you read Dash and Lily! Saving that for the winter to read with my other winter books. Mmmmm, cuddling up with hot chocolate! :) Happy you liked it though. Must now refrain from reading it before winter...wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete