Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, October 1, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week, I started by finishing Smile by Raina Telgemeier.  This would be a great introduction to graphic novels, since the story is easily accessible and familiar to a lot of kids.  She does such a good job with characterization and setting that it's easy to see it as a gateway for those who don't know the genre.  It's also a given for anyone having trouble with dental work.

Next I read Drama, also by Raina Telgemeier.  While I liked Smile a lot, I actually preferred this one.  Maybe it's my history on stage crew for school musicals, but I think lots of slightly quirky kids will connect easily to Cassie and her friends.  There's also a great--but not forced--subtext of discovering yourself and being okay with that being an ongoing process.

Next up was Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow for his author event.  I have to admit, I had some trouble with this one.  The narrative was more natural and interesting-in-its-own-right than Little Brother, which sometimes got a little too much like a computer science course for me, but I found myself disagreeing with the politics and arguments in this one a lot more.  By the end, I felt like I could only agree with the protagonists on a few minor points and there had been no attempt to persuade me otherwise.

Finally I started Poison Princess, the first of the Arcana Chronicles, by Kresley Cole for her author visit.  This seems to be another poster child for not judging a book by its cover.  There are a lot of unexpected dark elements to the narrative and no bodice ripping at all yet.  While it probably won't stick with me for a long time afterward, I'm really enjoying the ride.

This week, I'll be finishing Poison Princess, then starting The Warrior's Heart: Becoming a Man of Compassion and Courage by Eric Greitens for his author visit.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment