Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, September 24, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Flesh and Bone, the third book in Jonathan Maberry's Rot and Ruin series.  This is  my favorite installment so far, thanks in part to the creepiest villains yet.  Maberry is really using the zombie apocalypse scenario to explore some fascinating aspects of our current society.  I can't wait for the final book, which is set up very well.

Next I read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, the first book in the Necromancer series by Lish McBride. It's a really fun take on the supernatural trend in YA with some truly great characters.  A lot of this book was set-up for the future of the series, so I'm looking forward to reading the next books to build on what's already been established.

After that came The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron.  I don't think I could possibly love this book more.  The best way I can describe it is as a middle grade plot and setting with YA emotions and sensibilities.  It's laced with fantasy and dastardly plots that must be foiled, but there's a strong heroine coming into her own as an independent young woman and discovering all the emotions and potential that have always been inside her.  Cameron does so many brilliant things with the narrative that it's tempting to tell you all of them, but then you wouldn't get to discover them yourself.  Do yourself a favor, just read this book.

Lastly, I started Smile by Raina Telgemeier for her author visit.  I like the style, but I literally just started it, so I can't really say more than that.

This week, I'll be finishing Smile, then starting on Drama, also by Raina Telgemeier.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. I really need to read Hold Me Closer Necromancer. My copies of Dark Unwinding just hit the shelf. After your glowing review I will have to take one home with me! Here is my list http://wp.me/pzUn5-1d8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend both. I think Necromancer would be great for readers who like paranormal and horror, but could do without the romance. Sort of a slightly more grown-up Vladimir Tod.

      The one place The Dark Unwinding seems to be failing is marketing. It's being called steampunk when it's really not. I liked my sales rep's description of Jane Austen meets Jules Verne.

      Delete
  2. A great list! I must check out Flesh and Bone! Smile is a good one. I am doing it as a read-aloud this year (using an Elmo of course). I can't wait to get my hands on Drama. Raina Telgemeier will be in my town soon! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have now finished Smile and Drama and while I really liked Smile, I think Drama's even better. I've met Raina briefly, and she is great in person. I can't wait to spend more time with her at our school visits! Enjoy meeting her at yours!

      Delete
  3. I have finished reading Books 1 and 2 of Carrie Ryan's Zombie Apocalypse series - I'm intrigued by the entire concept of these otherworldly creatures as I am a huge fan of Walking Dead the TV series. Have you heard of World War Z, it's been receiving a lot of rave reviews as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a lot of great things about World War Z, but I haven't read it myself yet. I've been hearing rumors about a movie for a while now, so I guess we should all read it now so we can say we liked it before the film...

      Delete