Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, September 17, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I started out by finishing Rage Within by Jeyn Roberts for her author event.  My opinion didn't change much from last week's post.  There are some nice surprises in the plot and characters (as well as some that are frustrating) and I'm left wanting to know what happens next.  It's very much the second book in a series.

Then I read Dust and Decay by Jonathan Maberry for his author event.  This is the second book in the Rot and Ruin series, and while I do think the books should be read in order for character development reasons (not to mention spoilers for the previous books), they are much more episodic than the Dark Inside series.  I enjoyed delving deeper into the effect the zombie plague has had on some people's psyche.  I'm also very impressed with the use of violence in the series.  Maberry doesn't pull any punches (some scenes are not for the weak of stomach), but none of it feels gratuitous.  Instead it helps to further immerse you in the character's world.

Finally, I started Flesh and Bone, the third book in the Rot and Ruin series.  This may be my favorite so far. The inside look at the most extreme reactions to the sudden presence of zombies is something you don't get very often and it's scary to realize that many of Maberry's scenarios are entirely too realistic.










This week, I'll be finishing Flesh and Bone and starting on Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride for the Fierce Reads Tour.

What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I can see why they're popular. A lot of great action along with some really compelling character development and plots that keep you guessing.

    ReplyDelete