Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, September 10, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week, I finished Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry for his author event.  Since I only had about 30 pages left when I last wrote about it, my opinion hasn't changed much.  It's a good bet for horror fans and gets pretty darn creepy with some very memorable villains.







Next I read Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts for her author event.  I was under the misconception that this was another zombie book when I started, but it managed to be even disturbing.  Congratulations, Jeyn Roberts.  You have created the post-apocalyptic landscape I would least like to live in.  It's also one of the most nerve-wracking books I've read in recent memory.  The characters never get to relax and neither does the reader.  It took me a while to really connect with the characters since the story is told through a split narrative and almost no one is together until the end of the book, so the development was more stunted than usual, but by the end I wanted to know where everyone would end up.  Also there's a nice little twist that I didn't see coming.

Lastly, I started Rage Within, the sequel to Dark Inside.  This one is a bit more relaxed (although that's not saying much).  While the characters have taken some unexpected turns, this very much feels like the second book in a series:  The initial rush of activity of the first book is over, now we're setting up the high stakes for the finale.

Next week, I'll be finishing Rage Within and starting Dust and Decay, the sequel to Rot and Ruin.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment