Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, September 3, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

Last week I finished Outpost by Ann Aguirre for the Fierce Reads Tour.  I really loved how this second installment of the series brought up entirely new issues, fueled more by the development of the characters than the mechanics of the plot.  This is quite possibly one of my favorite second-in-a-series books out there. My copy of Outpost is an ARC provided by the publisher.
Next I read Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama, also for the Fierce Reads Tour.  I will say right now that the cover designers have done this book a grave disservice.  Yes, there are mermaids, but they're scary and at times disgusting, while simultaneously being beautiful and captivating in the most dangerous ways.  However, it's almost more of a ghost story than a mermaid story.  I'm going to call it a mermaid-fueled ghost story.  It's told by alternating between the current-day and 1872, which works surprisingly well.  There is a lot of violence and graphic depictions, so this may not be for the weak of stomach, but if you're looking for something slightly creepy, but slightly sexy (did I mention there's a fair amount of romance?), check it out.  My copy of Monstrous Beauty is an ARC provided by the publisher.

Finally, I started Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry for his author visit.  It manages to be both a thoughtful look at the ethical implications of being a surviving human in a world of zombies while still being filled with action.  These zombies are some of the best developed and most creepy I've read, but there are human bad guys that outdo even them.  This would be a great read for fans of The Walking Dead since it takes place 14 years after the original zombie outbreak and deals a lot more with continued survival than initial impact.
I also got two more picture books from Penguin in, both in the form of BLADs from the publisher.

Ollie and Claire by Tiffany Strelitz Haber, illustrated by Matthew Cordell
A cute story about friendship and shaking up your routine.  Kind of a kids version of The Pina Colada Song.





Otis and the Puppy by Loren Long
It's called Otis and the Puppy.  How could it not be adorably awesome?








This week I'll be finishing Rot and Ruin and starting on Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts for her author visit.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment