Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, August 20, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.



Last week I finished The Scorch Trials, the second book in the Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner.  Without getting spoilery, I liked the first book in the series better, but that's pretty typical with a trilogy.  This installment was more episodic with less puzzle solving and more survivalism, both reason I didn't enjoy it quite as much.







Next I read the third and final book of the trilogy proper, The Death Cure.  The first book remains my favorite.  I was really disappointed by some characters' actions and wasn't able to root for them as I wanted to.








I'm currently almost halfway through the prequel to the trilogy, The Kill Order.  I'm a little disappointed because so far it's not telling the story I wanted to hear.  There's still time for that to develop, though, so I'm reserving my final judgement.









Next week, after finishing The Kill Order, I'll be starting on the books from the Fierce Reads Tour.  First up is Of Poseidon by Anna Banks.

What are you reading?

8 comments:

  1. Loved the Maze Runner trilogy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a read, and the first book is fantastic.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read The Maze Runner series, but I really hope to soon. I might do as you and read them back to back.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll want to read them back-to-back. Not that it really enhances the experience, but there are so many questions you'll want answered...

      Delete
  3. I'm not familiar with the Maze Runner series, but the covers look retty intense. Sorry to hear none of the others could match the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intense is a very good word to describe the series. It's pretty much non-stop action, but in an intelligent way. The later books in the series are good, don't get me wrong. It's just that the first one is great.

      Delete
  4. Oh, how disgruntled I was with James Dashner as I read this trilogy. I wanted answers!!!! I read the whole Maze Runner trilogy just to get the end and not have the answers until the very very very end. Craziness. I'm just glad I don't live Thomas' life.

    So I had no idea The Kill Order was a prequel...hopefully you get more answers...I'm hesitant to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 50 pages left and....spoilers for the series, although not for Kill Order....the story goes back farther than I thought it would, to the world right after the sun flares at the beginning of the disease outbreak. Personally, I was more interested in Thomas and his friends before entering the maze, and a lot of them aren't even born at the time of Kill Order. Of course, he hasn't said there won't be another book in the series...

      Delete