Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, August 13, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.



Last week I finished The Maze Runner, the first book of The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner.  I really liked the puzzle-solving take on the dystopian setting.  It's also nice to see a futuristic book with a male protagonist, since things have been skewing heavily female in that department for a while.  Dashner is a master of the cliffhanger chapter ending, which makes for an addictive read.







Next I started The Scorch Trials, the second book in the series.  Without any spoilers, I will say I'm not quite as into this book as the first, probably because it's more episodic.





I also got through some picture book galleys from Simon and Schuster's Fall catalog:
Mice by Rose Fyleman, illustrated by Lois Ehlert
A very simple word book with a cute twist at the end, told with those great Ehlert collages.
Laugh-Out-Loud Baby by Tony Johnston, illustrated by Stephen Gammell
A sweet, very traditional picture book, although I have to admit, the illustrations were at times a little disturbing to me.  Gammell has lots of fans, he just doesn't quite connect with me.
Spike, the Mixed-Up Monster by Susan Hood, illustrated by Melissa Sweet
So cute!  This will be Spike the store cat's staff pick when it comes out.  Some Spanish vocabulary is thrown in, a la Skippyjon Jones.
Boot and Shoe by Marla Frazee
This is adorable; one of my favorites of the lot.  Rest assured, it will be on our Storytime list.
Ballerina Rosie by Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, illustrated by Diane Goode
A nice story about having confidence in yourself.
Waking Dragons by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Derek Anderson
Simple text with lush illustrations, sure to please the littlest dragon fans.
Nightsong by Ari Berk and Loren Long
The story and illustrations are unconventional in a gorgeous way.  I love Long's visualization of sonar.
That's What I'd Do by Jewel, illustrated by Amy June Bates
Another sweet traditional book.  The text is obviously based on lyrics, with a lot of repetition.  The finished version will come with a CD of the song.
Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson, illustrated by Jane Chapman
A great edition to the Bear series, perfect for Thanksgiving.
Tell Me About Your Day Today by Mem Fox, illustrated by Lauren Stringer
A lovely little tale about imagination and play.
Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems and Paintings by Douglas Florian, illustrated by Robert Neubecker
Poetry collections are tricky for me.  This would probably be good for classrooms, as it covers a lot of different styles, mostly rhyming.
Santa from Cincinnati by Judi Barrett, illustrated by Kevin Hawkes
What a weird Santa origin tale!  It fits right in with Barrett's tendency to twist the traditional.
I Loathe You by David Slonim
Another twist on a theme.  A funny, cute way to express love without being mushy.  Great for little ones who are in the stage where they shy away from lots of hugs and kisses.
I'm Bored by Michael Ian Black, illustrated by Debbie Ridpath Ohi
Another of my favorites.  I keep waiting for Black's picture books to get the attention they deserve.
underGROUND by Denise Fleming
A nice science title with enough picture book in it to be a casual read as well.
Who Built the Stable?: A Nativity Poem by Ashley Bryan
A visually gorgeous book, this may have trouble finding it's audience.  It is definitely a Jesus story, which may turn off some readers, but it doesn't tell the widely-accepted version of the story of his birth, which could alienate others.







This week I'll finishing The Scorch Trials, then moving on to the last in the trilogy, The Death Cure.

What are you reading?

23 comments:

  1. I love to see all of these children's picture book titles. I'm a primary school librarian, so I'm always interested in these.

    Here's my It's Monday! What Are You Reading? I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think underGROUND and Shiver Me Timbers would be good educational titles, and Boot and Shoe and I'm Bored will be fun read-alouds for elementary school. I'll be keeping them in mind for the librarians I work with.

      Delete
  2. I read the Maze Runner books this summer, too. Unfortunately I found that I liked the series less and less as it progressed. The Scorch Trials really picked up after the first 80 pages or so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about 50 pages from the end of The Scorch Trials, and while it has picked up a lot, I still prefer The Maze Runner. I'll reserve my final judgement until I'm done with the series, though.

      Delete
  3. Such lovely picture books. I enjoyed the Maze Runner and read the Scorch Trials as well. I still need to read the final one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have The Death Cure waiting on my nightstand. And the prequel, The Kill Order, comes out today, so I'll have to add that to the list...

      Delete
  4. Oh the pictures books look so darn cute!! I miss reading children's books. My darn kids insisted on growing too old for them darn it ;)

    Have a great week of reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of people in your position. In fact, my mother was very happy when I got this job because now I can show her all the best new picture books again!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read The Maze Runner series yet, but it's on my reading list, so glad to see you enjoyed it.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend it so far, especially for fans of dystopian/post-apocalypse, since it approaches those themes from a different angle than I've seen.

      Delete
  6. Looks like some fun picture books! I <3 Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're big on any and all bear books around here, and Karma Wilson's are definitely favorites.

      Delete
  7. Love all of the picture book titles! Putting Nightsong and I'm Bored on my to read list. I read the entire Maze Runner Trilogy and while I enjoyed #2 and #3 I loved Maze Runner the most (#1) Still worth reading the trilogy. But like you, I couldn't put first one down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to leave a series unfinished, so I'll definitely be reading all of Maze Runner, but it sounds like the first book is everyone's favorite. However, the prequel comes out today, so maybe everything will change...

      Delete
  8. Hooray for picture books! I adore Marla Frazee, so I'll be looking for that one. I'm also a big fan of Wilson and Chapman's bear and friends--so much fun to read aloud. Thanks for the recommendations!

    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've liked Frazee's work in the past, but Boot and Shoe is my favorite to date. I think it will be a lot of fun as a read-aloud.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for posting about all the upcoming picture books, I'm always on the look out for new and fresh titles for my blog. :)

    I have to admit, I devoured The Maze Runner, but got so upset with The Scorch Trials that I couldn't bring myself to read the final book. The first book was anything but cliche, while the second book continually disappointed me with trite and weak character choices. Half of me what's to know how the series ends, but the other half of me will be so bummed if I go through the same let down again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished The Scorch Trials and started The Death Cure last night, and I have to say I'm a bit frustrated with some of the choices being made. I'm reserving judgement, but I get the feeling I'm supposed to be sympathizing with certain characters while I'm really just waiting for them to be shown the error of their ways.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I was annoyed by how many "mistakes" the characters made that seemed glaringly obvious to me. I'll be interested to see what you think about the remainder of the books.

      Delete
    3. Spoilers ahead for The Maze Runner Trilogy:

      I've finished the first three books and am in the middle of the prequel. I found myself increasingly distanced from Thomas's decisions and motivations. His inability to understand Teresa's actions in The Scorch Trials and his sudden about-face on regaining his memories drove me crazy. I also found Minho getting less and less likable. His extreme prejudices toward people, particularly girls, seemed out of character from the first book.

      Delete
    4. So disappointing! There was so much promise in the first book. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't alone in my frustrations.

      Delete
  10. Loving all of these pretties. :)

    As a teacher, I'm always looking for new children's books to read. Thank you for these!

    Come see what I'm reading at Between the Bind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. There are definitely some promising classroom reads in this lot.

      Delete