Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, August 6, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.



This week, I started by finishing The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, the August book for Teen Reads.  Guys, I'm about to blaspheme, but I don't think I get all the Sarah Dessen love.  It was okay, but I spent way too much time being angry at the main character for her lack of a spine and none of the other characters seemed very well developed.  I'll probably try another of her books, because this could just be a bad reader-protagonist match, but I'll be waiting a bit before that happens.

Next, I read A Mutiny in Time, the first book of the Infinity Ring series.  The whole series is plotted by James Dashner and he wrote this first one.  It seems to be poised to take the 39 Clues mantle, but not having read that series (yet), I can't really make a comparison.  I can say it's a fun little intro to what has great potential as a larger plot.  There's a cool alternate timeline setting that I wasn't expecting at all and a lot of potential for curriculum tie-ins with the visits to history (although it's far from 100% historically accurate).

My copy of A Mutiny in Time is an advance readers copy provided by Scholastic.


Finally, I started The Maze Runner, the first book in the trilogy of the same name, also by James Dashner.  It's been on my reading list for quite some time, and the school visits we'll be doing with him in September are giving me a great excuse to finally start.  So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Next week, I'll be continuing with the Maze Runner Trilogy with The Scorch Trials.

What are you reading?


8 comments:

  1. I also read A Mutiny in Time and really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy the concept. I can't wait to see what the other Breaks are.

      Delete
  2. That's cool that he's coming to your school! I'm excited to read Mutiny (and haven't gotten to 39 Clues yet, either!). Have you read any of his 13th Reality series? I got an ARC of that one a while (LONG while, actually ... it's kind of embarrassing how long ago it was) back. It seems to have done well as a whole ... I just got sidetracked with Maze Runner and never really opened it. *notthepointofARCs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of the 13th Reality books. Since The Maze Runner is the one that's been sitting on my to-read list, I thought I'd start there and, if I have time before his visit, move on to 13th Reality next.

      Delete
  3. Maze Runner is so good! I hope to soon read the finale and the prequel. Enjoy :)
    I think with Sarah Dessen you either love her or leave her- don't feel bad.
    Looking forward to getting the Infinity Code- glad to hear it is pretty good.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving Maze Runner so far. I can't wait to see what happens!

      I'm glad to hear that about Sarah Dessen. From reviews and such I had seen before, it seemed like you either love her or might not be a person with emotions. I was getting worried...

      Infinity Ring promises to be a lot of fun and a great new way to read about history. It'll need nonfiction to back it up (since accuracy is always second to storyline), but I can see it opening some kids up to topics they weren't interested in before.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any Sarah Dessen but I just cannot keep them on the shelves at mylibrary. The teens love 'em but I have yet to pick it up yet. :) Totally get your opinion!

    Happy reading this week!
    Check out what I'm Reading and enter for a gift card giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super-popular around here too. That's why I was surprised by my lack of affection. I'd say it's worth a try, but don't prioritize it. You pretty much know all you need to know as a librarian from the back of the cover.

      Delete