Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, June 11, 2012

My Dad, My Hero

Dads might not have real super powers, but they're still heroes to the kids who love them.

My Dad, My Hero by Ethan Long is my pick for Father's Day.

This book is honest about Dad's limitations.  There are a lot of things he can't do, like see through walls and lift trains over his head (even model ones).  But he does the important things really well, like playing games, hanging out and just generally being there for his son, and that makes him a hero.  The first-person narrative hits a subtle comic note while the bold graphic illustrations and old-style comic book coloration depict an adorably bumbling dad and the obvious love his family has for him.  This is a perfect gift for each kid to give their not-so-super hero.

My Dad, My Hero is published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky and retails for $12.99 (hardcover).  I read my copy by taking it from the shelves for a few minutes.  You can get yours at Left Bank today!

No comments:

Post a Comment