Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, June 18, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week I finished The Diviners by Libba Bray, read The Letter Q: Queer Writers' Notes to Their Younger Selves edited by Sarah Moon with contributing editor James Lecesne, and started Tenth Grade Bleeds: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod #3 by Heather Brewer.

I also went through a passel of picture books from Perseus:
Doctor Kiss Says Yes by Teddy Jam, illustrated by Joanne Fitzgerald
Nocturne: Dream Recipes by Isol
I Have the Right to Be a Child by Alain Serres, illustrated by Aurelia Fronty
Guacamole: Un poema para cocinar/A Cooking Poem by Jorge Argueta, illustrated by Margarita Sada
Frank'n'Stan by M. P. Robertson
Hang Glider and Mud Mask by Brian McMullen and Jason Jagel
Really and Truly by Emilie Rivard, illustrated by Anne-Claire Delisle
Up Above and Down Below by Paloma Valdivia
Jimmy the Greatest! by Jairo Buitrago, illustrated by Rafael Yockteng, translated by Elisa Amado
Out of the Way! Out of the Way! by Uma Krishnaswami, illustrated by Uma Krishnaswamy
Wait and See by Tony Bradman and Eileen Brown
In a Minute by Tony Bradman and Eileen Brown
The Turtle and the Island: A Folk Tale from Papua New Guinea retold by Barbara Ker Wilson, illustrated by Frane Lessac
Going to Mecca by Na'ima B. Robert, illustrated by Valentina Cavallini
Over the Moon: The Broadway Lullaby Project to Benefit Breast Cancer Research conceived and created by Kate Dawson and Jodi Glucksman
Counting on Fall by Lizann Flatt, illustrated by Ashley Barron
Woodrow for President: A Tail of Voting, Campaigns and Elections by Peter W. Barnes and Cheryl Shaw Barnes
Liberty Lee's Tail of Independence by Peter W. Barnes and Cheryl Shaw Barnes
Sweet Land of Liberty by Callista Gingrich, illustrated by Susan Arciero
You Are Stardust by Elin Kelsey, illustrated by Soyeon Kim
Alphabet Everywhere by Elliott Kaufman
Who Ate Auntie Iris? by Sean Taylor, illustrated by Hannah Shaw
Snappy Little Farm by Dugald Steer, illustrated by Derek Matthews
Pop-Up Creatures: Eye to Eye by Frans Lanting
I Like to Learn Numbers: Hungry Chameleon by Alex A. Lluch
Animal Alphabet: Slide and Seek the ABC's by Alex Lluch
A Color Game for Chester Raccoon by Audrey Penn, illustrated by Barbara L. Gibson
Let's Leap Ahead Alphabet by Alex A. Lluch
Learn to Draw with Circles by Mark Bergin
Flip-O-Saurus by Sara Ball
Snaptivity Ocean illustrated by Derek Matthews

Next week I will be finishing Tenth Grade Bleeds, then launching into Partials by Dan Wells in preparation for his author visit.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you were pushing through those picture books! I'm trying to figure out a way to follow your blog, but will just have to cut and paste your address in my rss feeder. :)

    I really need to read Brewer's series. Much raged about and yet I'm still behind.. as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend Vlad Tod, especially if you deal with reluctant readers, particularly boys. Heather's also very good at creating a community for her readers that she is very involved with, so that's another selling point for a lot of young readers.

      Delete
  2. Holy moly! That's a lot of picture books! :) I need that list with me when I visit the library because I pretty much freeze with over-stimuli when I go to that section!
    I *love* Libba Bray, and I can't wait to read The Diviners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of those books aren't out yet, so you might want to hold your list back for a couple months...

      The Diviners will not disappoint. It doesn't even come out until October, and I already can't wait for the next book in the series.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of picture books! I love the idea of a poetry book about cooking and guacamole. I love guacamole. I've seen the Diviners here and there and it looks good! I loved Beauty Queens but not A Great and Terrible Beauty so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guacamole is one of the few picture books from last week that's already out. It's a lovely little book, and if you've got a kid who loves to cook, the recipe for guacamole can be followed along from the poem.

      I haven't read A Great and Terrible Beauty, so I don't know which The Diviners is more similar to, but I think if the description "1920's paranormal murder mystery with a giant cast of characters" appeals to you, you would probably like it.

      Delete