Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, June 11, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

I've been at BookExpo America for the past week, which accounts for the lack of posting.  So today I'll be covering two weeks worth of reading.

First, I finished Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, illustrated by Maira Kalman.  Next, I read Beauty Queens and started The Diviners, both by Libba Bray.  All three of those were in preparation for BEA.

This week I aim to finish The Diviners, then move on to The Letter Q: Queer Writers' Notes to Their Younger Selves edited by Sarah Moon with contributing editor James Lecesne for Pride Month.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. Hope you had a great time at BEA. I haven't read any of those books but I've heard good things about Beauty Queens. Hope you enjoy your books this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beauty Queens is pretty great if you're a fan of satire, but I thought The Diviners was simply awesome.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading the Diviners- Libba Bray is such an amazing, unique author.
    Did you enjoy Why We Broke Up? I thought is was a beautifully done novel.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Diviners is great. It's a very intricate plot with a LOT of characters, but even at over 500 pages, I was never bored and never felt like I was getting unnecessary information. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book.

      I loved the writing in Why We Broke Up. It's just lovely. I didn't get as emotionally invested in it as some people seem to have, though. I think it might be because I found Min's behavior a bit tiresome. I also got a chapter sampler of the new Lemony Snicket book this week, Who Could That Be at This Hour?, and the writing in the first paragraph alone has me hooked.

      Delete