Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, May 28, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week, I finished Ninth Grade Slays, the second book in The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer, in preparation for my publisher's dinner with her.  I then moved to Little Brother by Cory Doctorow in preparation for the May meeting of Teen Reads reading group.  Next I read Grannie Annie Volume 7 by Young People in preparation for their author event.  Then I started Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, illustrated by Maira Kalman, in preparation for BookExop America events.

I also read some picture books from the upcoming HarperCollins catalog:
Penny and Her Doll by Kevin Henkes
Hello! Hello! by Matthew Cordell
My Brave Year of Firsts: Tries, Sighs, and High Fives by Jamie Lee Curtis and Laura Cornell
Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman by Esme Raji Codell, illustrated by Lynne Rae Perkins
A Perfect Day by Carin Berger
Cat Tale by Michael Hall
Snowman Magic by Katherine Tegen, illustrated by Brandon Dorman
Santa on the Loose!: A Seek and Solve Mystery! by Bruce Hale, illustrated by Dave Garbot
Nothing Ever Happens at the South Pole by Stan and Jan Berenstain
Nelson Mandela by Kadir Nelson
Little Sweet Potato by Amy Beth Bloom
In the Land of Milk and Honey by Joyce Carol Thomas, illustrated by Floyd Cooper
Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems
Bang! Boom! Roar!: A Busy Crew of Dinosaurs by Nate Evans and Stephanie Gwyn Brown, illustrated by Christopher Santoro
Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller by Doreen Rappaport, illustrated by Matt Tavares

Next week I will be finishing Why We Broke Up, then moving on to Going Bovine by Libba Bray, also for BookExpo America.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. My sister really enjoys Libba Bray's Great and Terrible Beauty series. I'm not sure if she's read Going Bovine, though.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I ended up ditching Going Bovine for Beauty Queens. I hadn't realized it was available in paper yet, and it has a shorter page count. I'm sure I'll read Going Bovine at some point, though; it's been recommended to me enough.

      Delete
  2. :) Don't you just love a good picture book???? Makes the day just brighter.

    What are YOU reading??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are definitely some good ones in that batch. I'm always a sucker for Kadir Nelson and Mo Willems. Cat Tale was also a favorite of mine.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I don't think I've even heard of any of the picture books you read. I'll have to look them up and see what they are about! Did you have a favorite? I just adored Why We Broke Up. one of my favorite books from last year. Loved Min's voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a book buyer, so when you see a long list of picture books like that, it typically means I'm reading advance copies of books from future catalogs. In this case, those books will come out roughly September through November this year.

      I too enjoyed the writing of Why We Broke Up. I think it lacked the emotional impact for me that others saw in it, and I'm not exactly sure why.

      Delete