Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, April 30, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week I finished Disney After Dark, the first book in the Kingdom Keepers series, by Ridley Pearson in preparation for his author event.  Then I started Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt in preparation for the May meeting of Writers Read reading group.

In picture book land, I read the following books as part of order prep for Penguin:
The Hueys in The New Sweater by Oliver Jeffers
Flight of the Last Dragon by Robert Burleigh, illustrated by Mary GrandPre
Christmastime by Alison Jay
The Amazing Hamweenie by Patty Bowman
Baby Penguins Everywhere! by Melissa Guion
Llama Llama Time to Share by Anna Dewdney
Make a Wish Bear by Greg Foley
Too Tall Houses by Gianna Marino
Brave Squish Rabbit by Katherine Battersby
Ready or Not, Here Comes Scout! by Jill Abramson and Jane O'Connor, illustrated by Deborah Melmon
Max and Ruby's Treasure Hunt by Rosemary Wells
But I've Used All of My Pocket Change by Lauren Child
Dangerously Ever After by Dashka Slater, illustrated by Valeria Docampo
Apple Farmer Annie by Monica Wellington
Marvin Makes Music by Marvin Hamlisch, illustrated by Jim Madsen
Pancho Claus by Jose-Luis Orozco, illustrated by Ashley Wolff
Colorful Dreamer: The Story of Artist Henri Matisse by Marjorie Blain Parker, illustrated by Holly Berry
Rabbit's Snow Dance as told by James and Joseph Bruchac, illustrated by Jeff Newman
The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever by Brenda Ferber, illustrated by Tedd Arnold
The Three Ninja Pigs by Corey Rosen Schwartz, illustrated by Dan Santat
Bully by Patricia Polacco
Mossy by Jan Brett
Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell, illustrated by David Catrow
Tea Cakes for Tosh by Kelly Starling Lyons, illustrated by E.B. Lewis
The Birds of Bethlehem by Tomie dePaola
There Was a Tree by Rachel Isadora
Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by E.B. Lewis
The Further Tale of Peter Rabbit by Emma Thompson, inspired by the original tales of Beatrix Potter, illustrated by Eleanor Taylor
Cork and Fuzz: No Fooling by Dori Chacanos, illustrated by Lisa McCue
Becoming a Ballerina: A Nutcracker Story by Lisa Friedman and Mary Dowdle
Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin by Robert Byrd

Next week I will finish Okay for Now and continue the Kingdom Keepers series with Disney at Dawn.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. As always, you have an amazing and eclectic list of authors. I'm reminded every Monday of favorites I may not have visited in awhile. Thanks!

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria! This week in particular had a lot of new titles from old favorites. I always feel so lucky to get an advance look at them.

      Delete
  2. Did you like Kingdom Keepers? My students who have read it all loved it (I think the connection since we live in Orlando is a part of it) and I've read the first 2 of the series and thought the adventure and story were great.

    Enjoy Okay for Now :) Should have been an award winning book.

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Disney After Dark, although I thought the end was a bit anticlimactic. That could just be because it's not the end of the series, though. I look forward to seeing where it goes now that the world is established.

      I'm not quite finished with Okay for Now, but I'm already very angry it didn't get more year end recognition. I love this book so much I can't adequately express myself. Our Writer's Read group approaches everything from a craft point of view and I don't think they could have chosen better.

      Delete
  3. My son loves Max and Ruby. I'm glad you are considering it for your store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Wells fan from back in the day myself. Noisy Nora and Hazel's Amazing Mother were borrowed from the library more than a few times. I'm glad to see she's reaching new readers still.

      Delete