Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, March 26, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey, with a children's version at Teach Mentor Texts.

This week I started by finishing Scorpions by Walter Dean Myers.  Then I moved on to Titanic: Voices from the Disaster by Deborah Hopkinson.  I've always been fascinated by the Titanic, and the 100th anniversary of its sinking in April has provided plenty of new books on the subject, of which I intend to get through as many as possible.  Next came Second Helpings, the second Jessica Darling novel by Megan McCafferty.  I'm addicted to this series since reading Sloppy Firsts for the Forever Young Adult book club.  Then I started My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier as part of my Newbery-reading quest.

In the world of orders, I got through some more upcoming picture books from Random House:
Bon Appetit!: The Delicious Life of Julia Child by Jessie Hartland
I Like Old Clothes by Mary Ann Hoberman, illustrated by Patrice Barton
I, Galileo by Bonnie Christensen
Mario Makes a Move by Jill McElmurry
Ollie and Moon: Fuhgeddaboudit! by Diane Kredensor
A Song for My Sister by Lesley Simpson, illustrated by Tatjana Mai-Wyss
Ballet Stars by Joan Holub, illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
Pretty Penny Comes Up Short by Devon Kinch

This coming week, I will finish My Brother Sam Is Dead and move on to Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson for the Current Affairs reading group April meeting.  (I know I said the same thing last week, but logistics prevented me from actually getting the book.)

What are you reading?

4 comments:

  1. I, too, have always been fascinated by the Titanic- how was Voices from the Disaster?

    Enjoy Speak- it is a contemporary classic.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voices from the Disaster was pretty good. There was a lot of eyewitness testimony I hadn't heard before and great photographs. I plan on doing a collected review of Titanic books sometime in April, so I'll cover it more in depth then.

      I'm looking forward to Speak; just waiting on a reorder to get in...

      Delete
  2. I've read My Brother Sam is Dead but it's been a loooooooong time. I know I was in high school. I can't remember it much but I know it was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was never assigned to me (or if it was, it did not make much of an impression), but it is very much the type of book you'd read while studying the Revolutionary War. It is intriguing, mainly because I have no idea where it's going (except that I'm pretty sure Sam will die).

      Delete