Books for Younguns, Young Adults and the Young-at-Heart

Monday, March 12, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Book Journey with a children's department edition at Teach Mentor Texts.

This has been a very productive reading week.  I started with No Crystal Stair: A Documentary Novel of the Life and Work of Lewis Michaux, Harlem Bookseller by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson with artwork by R. Gregory Christie.  As promised, it was a must-read for booksellers.  I then read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews to review for the 2012 Debut Author Challenge.  After that came Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo, one of the picks for World Book Night this year.  I threw in another of DiCamillo's books, this one written with Alison McGhee and illustrated by Tony Fucile, Bink and Gollie: Two for One.  That was followed by Sloppy Firsts: A Jessica Darling Novel by Megan McCafferty for Forever Young Adult's book club (which I might actually get to this month).  Then I finally picked up Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World by Bryan Lee O'Malley since they've been sitting around unread for far too long (and the movie was on the other day).

On the order prep front, I previewed the following picture books from IPG/Trafalgar Square:


Guess What? by Guido Van Genechten
Guess Where? by Guido Van Genechten
Happy Easter! by Liesbet Slegers
Surprise! by Liesbet Slegers
Move! by Liesbet Slegers
Baby's First Christmas by Christina Goodings, illustrated by Stephen Barker
The Big Woods Orchestra by Guido Van Genechten
Number Pops: Subtraction by Simon Abbott
Number Pops: Addition by Simon Abbott
Bouncy Garden by Emily Bolam
Busy Farm by Rebecca Finn
Dinosaur Hunt: Hide and Slide by Beth Harwood, illustrated by Michelle Todd
Go Wild with...Opposites by Neal Layton
My Very Little Christmas Story by Lois Rock, illustrated by Alex Ayliffe
Rumble, Roar, Dinosaur! by Tony Mitton and Lynne Chapman
Let's Look at Dinosaurs: Torch Light by Donald Grant, Gallimard Jeunesse and Claude Delafosse
The Impressionists by Jean-Phillippe Chabot
Little Ghost by Jenny Arthur
The Beasties by Jenny Nimmo and Gwen Millward
Night Monkey Day Monkey by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by Lucy Richards
Daisy Plays Hide-and-Seek by Ellie Sandall
Beatrice and Vanessa by John Yeoman and Quentin Blake
Sixes and Sevens by John Yeoman and Quentin Blake
Dr Xargle's Book of Earthlets by Jeanne Willis and Tony Ross
In the Attic by Hiawyn Oram and Satoshi Kitamura
Comic Adventures of Boots by Satoshi Kitamura

Over the next week, I will be reading My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf on the recommendation of Eric, our sales rep from Fujii Associates.  Since that surely won't take me all week, I'll then be starting on either Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson in preparation for the Current Affairs book group's April meeting or The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie in preparation for World Book Night.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. I love Kate DiCamillo's books! I've seen mixed review of Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl but my curiosity is starting to get the better of me...looks like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, but the other staff member who read it was much more meh. Your tolerance for profanity will definitely have something to do with how much you like it.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting so much reading done this week! Which book are you distributing for World Book Night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be distributing The Book Thief personally, but Left Bank will be involved in a lot of general festivities, so I'm going to review all the books from the children's section.

      Delete
  3. That is a great reading list! Want to read Earl very much, love Kate DiCamillo and the Scott Pilgrim books are SO much fun. How is Slobby Firsts? One of my friends love that series.

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Sloppy Firsts a lot more than I thought I would. It's still high school fluff to a large degree, but it's got a smart, sarcastic narrator and it's well written. My big complaint is that the ending would be totally unacceptable if there was no sequel, and I'm not a big fan of that.

      Delete